Sunday, March 21, 2021

Cowboy Church #111

Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today’s musical selection begins with Tennessee Ernie Ford singing I Love to Tell the Story. When recovering from a sickness, Arabella Katherine Hankey wrote a poem about the life of Christ. This poem was broken into two parts the first being called The Story Wanted (published in January, 1866) and the second called The Story Told (published in November, 1866). I Love to Tell the Story comes from this second part. In 1869 William G. Fisher put this text to music and that is the version we know today. Still it is worth noting that Hankey wrote her own music for these words, but her music was seldom used and is now forgotten. Up next comes The Hee Haw Gospel Quartet (Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Grandpa Jones, Kenny Price) with Shall We Gather at the River. This classic hymn was written by Dr. Robert Lowry in 1864. Lowry later described the thought process for writing this hymn, “One hot afternoon in July 1864, I was resting on his sofa, visions of heaven pervaded his senses. I saw the bright golden throne room and a multitude of saints gathered around the beautiful, cool, crystal, river of life. I was filled with a sense of great joy. I began to wonder why there seemed to be many hymns that referenced the river of death, but very few that mentioned the river of life. As I mused, the words and music to Shall We Gather at the River came to his heart and mind.” The Hee Haw Gospel Quartet came for the country themed variety show, Hee Haw. One day back stage Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Grandpa Jones, Kenny Price, Archie Campbell, Tennessee Ernie Ford and Merle Travis were singing old gospel songs. Producer Sam Lovullo heard this singing and knew this had to become part of the show. In 1976 this became solidified as a regular part of the series and would remain so through the show's long run. While Hee Haw often featured a lot of corny humor, this part of the show would always be played seriously. In fact Grandpa Jones never wore his trademark hat and would sometimes appear out of costume in this sequences. Because of this it would often be used for the show's closing. Whether you are a fan of Hee Haw or not, The Hee Haw Gospel Quartet remains essential listening for all fans of country gospel music. Following this will be Alison Krauss and Union Station with Jesus Help Me to Stand. This is the closing track of their 1992 album, Every Time You Say Good Bye.  After will be Sara Watkins with Give Me Jesus. This comes from her 2009 self titled album which was also her first solo album. Next comes Johnny Cash with He Touched Me. This song was written by Bill Gaither in 1963. After this comes Gene Autry singing Little Old Church in the Valley. This version comes from an episode of Gene's Melody Ranch radio show dated 8/24/47. This song also features The Cass County Boys, The Pinafores, Johnny Bond and Carl Cotner's Orchestra. This is followed by The Sons of the Pioneers with 1937 recording of Lord You Made The Cowboy Happy. Today's musical selection ends with Roy Rogers singing The Lamp of Faith.



























Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 4:16

he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit. Titus 3:5

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 1 John: 5:14

if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Ephesians 6:18

My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. John 17:15

The LORD detests the sacrifice of the wicked, but the prayer of the upright pleases him. Proverbs 15:8

The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. Psalm 145:18

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”

 Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
 He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
 You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
 A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
 You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.

 If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
 no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.”

Psalm 91


Thank you for joining me and come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again.









 


No comments:

Post a Comment