Thursday, September 26, 2019

Movie Review: Country Music - A Film By Ken Burns

Michael's Movie Grade: A-

As every reader of this blog knows, I am a huge country music fan. As such it is no wonder that Ken Burns' recent country music documentary had such an appeal to me. It certainly did not let me down in the least.

This is a very in depth look at the history of country music. However how wide reaching country music is, this film could no cover everything. There were artists I wished could have been discussed much more. For instance The Sons of the Pioneers and Roy Rogers (and Dale Evans receives no mention at all) only got passing mentions and I certainly would love to have heard more about Lynn Anderson, The Statler Brothers, Jim Reeves, Johnny Rodriguez, Tex Ritter, Charley Daniels, George Strait and Tompall Glaser. To cover that much would have been an impossibility, so this becomes little more than nitpicking. There is a lot to learn in this movie even from country music buffs like me. Also it is really nice to see DeFord Bailey get the attention he deserves. As a harmonica player myself DeFord is definitely an influence on me. I also loved that they payed tribute to country music from artists who are not known for country such as Ray Charles, Bob Dylan and The Byrds.

The highlight of this movie is the interviews. We get to see true country music legends discuss country music. It is always a joy to see Kris Kristoffeson, Charley Pride, Loretta Lynn, Hank Williams JR. (when the film focuses on Hank Williams Sr. the subtitle under Hank Jr literally says "Hank Williams Jr. - Son"), Dwight Yoakam, and Willie Nelson. It was also a very nice surprise to see Merle Haggard and Little Jimmy Dickens, who had passed away recently. Charley Pride always seems like the nicest guy in the world whenever I see him talk. If there is anybody in country music I would like to be friends with, it is Charley Pride. Charley is of course one of the all time great country singers and I wish more people I knew were fans. Marty Stuart shows how he truly is country music's resident historian. Emmylou Harris is a delight and her passion for country music can be felt each time she talks. Dwight and Merle often stole the show. They both would sing the songs as they were talking about them and even singing brief snippets of the songs, you could hear the incredible emotion in their voice fully be reminded of why these two are such great singers. They just have a perfect way with words and a great sense of humor. I love Merle stating that if anyone doesn't like Bob Wills they are under suspicion with him, or Dwight saying that Lovesick Blues is sentimental to its core but also sticks its middle finger up at the world. Hearing Dwight yodel that song is also a highlight, and I want to see him do a full cover of that song.

Plus getting to hear songs by all those previously mentioned plus Jimmie Rogers, The Carter Family, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Lefty Frizzell, Pasty Cline, Gene Autry, Roy Acuff, Buck Owens, Bill Monroe, Townes Van Zandt and more certainly didn't hurt the film at all.

Most of all though this film is a love letter to country music and a lovely heartfelt one at that. I found myself singing along with each song, remembering why I fell in love with the genre. This movie made me fall in love with Country music all over again.

-Michael J. Ruhland  

2 comments:

  1. I agree. The stars highlighted in this documentary are not the ones I would have expected to have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check it out. I think Hank Williams Sr. was the greatest single musician in American history. Ken's Civil War series is a favorite of mine, too.

    ReplyDelete