Sunday, October 13, 2019

Cowboy Church #31

Hello again my friends and welcome to another service of Cowboy Church. 

Though most of these Cowboy Church posts feature country-gospel music from the 20th century, there is a recent song that just came out that I loved so much I have to include it here. This is a song off Cody Jinks' new album, After the Fire. This lovely song is called William and Wanda. This is a lovely song about meeting your loved ones in Heaven. In my mind this is one of the best country songs in years. With incredible lyrics that tell a great story this song is exactly what country music should be. Next comes Ray Price's beautiful recording of In the Garden from his 1960 gospel album Faith. This song is in the countrypolitan style of the early 60's with lots of strings and an orchestral pop sound. Here it works perfectly especially with Ray's incredible voice. Next is The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1948 recording of Lead Me Gently Home. The group had recorded this song earlier in 1937 and to be honest this later recording doesn't differ much from the earlier one. Next comes Willie Nelson with a gospel song he wrote himself, Kneel at the Feet of Jesus. Next is the classic bluegrass band The Stanley Brothers with their version of Where Could I Go But To the Lord. Next is Roy Rogers and Dale Evans performing a medley of gospel tunes and country tunes on the TV show Hee Haw. These songs include The Place Where I Worship, He Walks With the Wild and Lonely, Texas Plains and their signature song, Happy Trails. This special medley was for the show's 10th anniversary special and they change the lyrics to Happy Trails to suit the occasion. This week's music selection ends with Allison Krauss and The Cox Family with I'd Rather Have Jesus from their incredible 1994 gospel album together I Know Who Holds Tomorrow. This is in my mind one of the loveliest versions of this great gospel song.

















No Temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6

 But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Psalm 3:3-4

Thank you for joining me for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy Trails to you until we meet again.



-Michael J. Ruhland

No comments:

Post a Comment