Sunday, May 23, 2021

Cowboy Church #120

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Roy Rogers, Dale Evans and the Sons of the Pioneers with a lovely version of The Place Where I Worship. Up next is Johnny Cash with The Fourth Man in the Fire. This song is based off of a story from the book of Daniel. Though this story takes place during old testament times many (including myself) believe the fourth man to be Jesus. While most of us will not be thrown in a fiery furnace, this song reminds us that there is no place that through every hardship in life, Jesus is always walking with us and watching out for us. In the liner notes for the Unearthed box set, Rick Ruben remembered this song being recorded, "I can't tell you much about the song except that again it was one that he liked , but I can tell you why it sounds like he's getting frustrated. We were working in my living room and we didn't have any editing equipment or engineering person - I'm not an engineer - we were just rolling the tape and everything was live. If you're in the studio and you're doing a song with a long spoken intro, and you got the intro right but there's something wrong with the song, you wouldn't have to do the intro over and over every time you redid the song. We didn't have that kind of editing capacity at my house, which is why when Johnny says 'Are you going to keep the intro from the last take? It was good' and I say 'We can't do that,' you can hear the frustration in his voice." Next comes Gene Autry with his 1949 recording of Bible on the Table. In this song Gene sings "People say that I'm a bit old fashioned." This is something still being said about many Christians today. However loving and trusting in God is something that will never be old fashioned. This is because the Bible is just as true today as the day the words were written and God cares just as much about us today, as he did any other generation and he wants to be just as much a part of our lives as he ever did before. God is the same yesterday, today and forever and we should never be ashamed of being Christians but instead we should feel blessed that our God wants to be a part of our lives. Recently I was re-listening to southern Christian rock band, Third Day's 1995 debut album. While I loved the whole album, Love Song especially stood out to me as I listened to the lyrics. The message of this song is simple, Jesus loves us so much that he bared the cross just for us. Yet the simplicity of this message is extremely beautiful and touching. We too often forget just how much Jesus loves us but this song reminds us how great and loving our lord truly is. This is followed by Kris Kristofferson with They Killed Him. Written by Kris himself, this song is tribute to three of his heroes, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesus Christ. Next is Tennessee Ernie Ford with I Love to Tell the Story. The origins of this hymn began with Arabella Katherine Hankey. At the age of 30 she was recovering from a long illness and during that time wrote a poem about Jesus. This poem was separated into two parts. The first was called The Story Wanted and the second was called The Story Told (both were published in 1886). The lyrics for this hymn came from the second part. Arabella was also a composer and wrote her own music for these words, but the tune she wrote is not the one we use today.  William G. Fisher wrote the music we know today as well as the words for the refrain. When Fisher's version of the hymn was published in 1875's  Gospel Hymns and Sacred Songs, the hymn reached a new level of popularity. This version comes from Cousin Ernie's 1960 album Sing a Hymn with me. Now for the Queen of Rockabilly, Wanda Jackson with Jesus Loves Cowgirls from her 1984 gospel album, My Kind of Gospel. Afterwards is Red Foley with his 1949 recording of Just a Closer Walk With Thee. Today's musical selection ends with The Purple Hulls with singing What a Friend We Have in Jesus. This recording comes from their 2012 album, Closer to Home

































Psalm 27
1 The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When the wicked advance against me
    to devour[a] me,
it is my enemies and my foes
    who will stumble and fall.
3 Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
    even then I will be confident.

4 One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.
5 For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
    and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted
    above the enemies who surround me;
at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy;
    I will sing and make music to the Lord.

7 Hear my voice when I call, Lord;
    be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”
    Your face, Lord, I will seek.
9 Do not hide your face from me,
    do not turn your servant away in anger;
    you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
    God my Savior.
10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
    the Lord will receive me.
11 Teach me your way, Lord;
    lead me in a straight path
    because of my oppressors.
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
    for false witnesses rise up against me,
    spouting malicious accusations.

13 I remain confident of this:
    I will see the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living.
14 Wait for the Lord;
    be strong and take heart
    and wait for the Lord.




The righteous hate what is false, but the wicked make themselves a stench and bring shame on themselves. Proverbs 13:5

They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” Acts 16:31

He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time. 2 Timothy 1:9

And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Acts 2:21

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls. 1 Peter 1:8-9

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. Romans 1:16

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18

Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. James 1:21

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. Romans 8:18

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them. Isaiah 11:6

 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:18

 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11


Thank you for joining me come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 














No comments:

Post a Comment