Sunday, January 26, 2020

Cowboy Church #41



Hello my friends and welcome back to another service of Cowboy Church.

Today's musical lineup begins with The Sons of the Pioneers' 1951 recording of Wonderous Word of the Lord. This song was written by Ken Carson, who while not a member at this time had been one of the Sons of the Pioneers in the mid 1940's. Next is Sons of the San Joaquin with God Leads His Dear Children from their 1997 album, Gospel Trails. Roy Rogers would once say about Sons of the San Joaquin, "the only singing group alive who I feel sound like the original Sons of the Pioneers." If that doesn't sound like a recommendation to you, then we have very different tastes in music. Next is often overlooked gospel classic, The Thief on the Tree performed by Roy Acuff. After this is Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with a medley of four songs (The Place Where I Worship, He Walks With the Wild and the Lonely, Texas Plains, Happy Trails) on Hee Haw. Before we leave Hee Haw next is the Hee Haw Gospel Quartet (Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Grandpa Jones, Kenny Price) with When I Take My Vacation in Heaven. After this comes Johnny Cash with a lovely self-penned gospel song, Half a Mile a Day. This recording features just Johnny and his guitar and is extremely heartfelt. This is followed by The Gospel Plowboys with Everybody Will Happy from their 2016 album, Welcome Home. Today's music selection ends with Gene Autry singing Bible on the Table in a classic 1949 recording. 























Today's movie is a silent film starring the one and only Tom Mix, Sky High (1922). This movie features some location shooting at the Grand Canyon, which helps explain what it is so visually beautiful. This is in many ways a typical Tom Mix movie with plenty of great fast paced action and heroics. Reading some of the exhibitors reviews for this film show how much people loved Tom Mix at this time. Here are some examples of what some of them said. "Boys, I'm a nut over Tom Mix like everything else, but this one is a marvel." "Great, people who never before cared for 'horse operas' raved over this one." "One of the best pictures Mix ever stared in to my notion." "One of the best we have ever shown." "Mix always gets us business and pleases the crowds."


 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,

    my God, in whom I trust.”
 Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
 He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
 You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
 A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
 You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.

If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”

    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
 no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;

    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.

With long life I will satisfy him

    and show him my salvation.

Psalm 91

As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. 1 Timothy 17-19

Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves Philippians 2:3

 Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:18

Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs. Proverbs 10:12

Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way. 1 Samuel 12:23

Thank you for joining me come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again.





-Michael J. Ruhland

No comments:

Post a Comment