Sunday, January 19, 2020

Cowboy Church #40



Hello my friends and welcome back to another round of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection starts off with Roy Rogers singing Peace in the Valley. This version comes from a 1945 episode of Roy's radio show. Though the later 1962 version he would do with Dale Evans is better know, this recording is fantastic. Next up is The Gospel Plowboys with a lovely version of Because He Lives. This recording comes from their 2016 album, Welcome Home. This is followed by Don Edwards with Wayfaring Stranger from his 2009 cowboy gospel album, Heaven on Horseback. After this is Johnny Cash performing Just a Closer Walk With Thee on his TV show. Next is The Carter Family with their 1934 recording of I'm Working on a Building. This is my personal favorite version of this old gospel song. Following is Skeeter Davis with her recording of Child of the King from her 1967 gospel album Hand In Hand With Jesus. Next is the King of Bluegrass, Bill Monroe with his 1950 recording of Lord Protect my Soul. This is pure toe-tapping bluegrass music at its best. Now for The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1948 version of Read the Bible Everyday. This was a Sons original written by one of the group's founding members, Tim Spencer. To end this music selection of country music is The Hee Haw Gospel Quartet (Buck Owens, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Grandpa Jones, Roy Clark) with I'm a Little Old Fashioned.  























Today's movie is The Return of Draw Egan (1916). This movie stars the one and only William S. Hart. William S. Hart was one of the first filmmakers to make western films specifically for an adult audience and deal with some darker themes. Still most of them followed a pattern of a repentant bad guy, becoming a western hero. This is no exception. This is an excellent movie and I hope you enjoy as much as I do.


This is my command - be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the Lord your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6


The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

Pslam 23

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. John 1:17Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. Luke 3:8

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Don't love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you. Hebrews 13:5


For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again.



4

-Michael J. Ruhland








No comments:

Post a Comment