Sunday, June 2, 2024

Cowboy Church #179

Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Sons of the Pioneers with The Place Where I Worship. This recording comes from their most recent album, 2024's Campfire Spirituals

This is followed by Tommy Sosebee and Crossroads Gang with their 1948 recording of That Gospel Train Is Comin'.

Then comes Don Gibson with Known Only to Him. This song was written by Stuart Hamblen (It is no Secret (What God Can Do)) and is in my mind one of Hamblen's finest compositions. This recording comes from Don's 1958 gospel album, No One Stands Alone.  

Afterwards is Johnny Cash with The Junkie's Prayer.

Next is Brenda Lee with Softly and Tenderly. The song was written by an Ohio businessman named Will Thompson in 1880.  As well as writing gospel songs Thompson also wrote quite a few secular songs and parotic songs. When the songs he wrote were rejected by publishers he created his own company, Will L. Thompson & Company. This company would not only publish music by sell musical instruments. Softly and Tenderly first appeared in 1880's Sparkling Gems, Nos. 1 and 2, a collection of songs from the company. When evangelist Dwight L. Moody was on his death bed he told the songwriter, "Will, I would rather have written ‘Softly and Tenderly Jesus Is Calling’ than anything I have been able to do in my whole life." This was appropriate as Will decided to make songwriting his career while at a meeting held by Moody.  

Then is Anne Wilson with Out of the Bluegrass. This comes from her most recent album, 2024's Rebel.

Now we join Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with a wonderful version of the classic hymn, How Great Thou Art. In the book, Happy Trails: Our Life Story, Roy tells of a story that had to do with this song. "I'll tell you about one time we nearly got into a real war with the promoters: at the World Championship Rodeo at Madison Square Garden in 1952. During the first rehearsal I started to practice 'How Great Thou Art,' a religious song I wanted to make the centerpiece of our musical act. There's a line in that song that goes, 'Then sings my soul my Savior God to Thee...' Someone in the front office heard the rehersal and came to me that night to tell me I wasn't allowed to mention Christ at the rodeo. 'It might work for the kids in Houston, Texas' he told me, 'But this is New York. You can't preach to kids here.' I told him I wasn't preaching but that the Savior was a part of the song and I fully intended to sing that song in New York or anywhere else we performed. They suggested that I could change the words of the song so it didn't mention Him. I'm not one for grandstand plays but I told those fellas that if I couldn't sing 'How Great thou Art' just how it was written, Dale and I would pack up and leave town. The song stayed in the show. That year we did forty-three performances over twenty-six days and broke all Madison Square Garden attendance records."

Today's musical selection ends with The Detty Sisters with I'll Take The Old Highway from their newest album, 2024's Good Old Days

 
 






























Next comes an episode of Roy Rogers' radio show.




Now for a message from S.M. Lockridge. 




May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 1 John 5:4

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:11

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:2

For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41:13

He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young. Isaiah 40:11

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. Revelation 21:3-4

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 













No comments:

Post a Comment