Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Roy Acuff: The Mountain Music Singer


I love country music, as I know anyone who reads this blog should know by now. One of the greats of country music of course is the one and only Roy Acuff. His writing was pure poetry and his voice had a sincere honesty that immediately appealing and personal. I was personally introduced to him watching a lot of Hee Haw with my grandparents growing up. This 1949 article from Swing magazine is a great look into who this very talented man was.









As a bonus here is a Roy Acuff and His Smoky Mountain Boys performing Roy's signature song, Wabash Cannonball in a clip from the feature film, Grand Ole Opry (1940). The story of that movie is nothing to really write home about, but performances like this make it priceless entertainment for me and my fellow country music fans.



-Michael J. Ruhland 


No comments:

Post a Comment