Thursday, September 12, 2019

A 4 Page Advertisement For "Going My Way" (1944)


Possibly my favorite director is Leo McCarey. I know this may not be a common choice for a favorite movie director, but looking at the man's output, I have no doubt he was one of the finest directors to ever come out of Hollywood. He could direct pure slapstick with Laurel and Hardy or The Marx Brothers, but could also turn out a film as touching and beautiful as any movie Hollywood ever put out, Make Way For Tomorrow (1937, a film which sadly never gets the attention and praise it fully deserves). I am also a huge fan of Bing Crosby, both as an actor and a singer. With this in mind it should come as no shocker that I absolutely love the movie, Going My Way (1944). This is a feel good movie that never fails to put a smile on my face. I am not alone in loving this movie, it was a huge hit upon its release and even won a Best Picture Oscar. Upon its release in 1944, the Motion Picture Herald ran a four page advertisement for the film which you can see below. Again if you have any problem reading any of these pages just click on them and use your touch screen to zoom in.

 






Now enjoy one of the classic songs from this movie, Swinging on A Star. Unfortunately I could not find the movie version on You Tube.





The song would later be used in a Little Lulu cartoon, A Bout With a Trout (1937). Obviously Paramount couldn't limit a song this good to just one film.



-Michael J. Ruhland




No comments:

Post a Comment