Sunday, February 6, 2022

Cowboy Church #158

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Rider in the Sky singing the Sons of the Pioneers song, Lord You Made the Cowboy Happy. This version of the song comes from the band's 2011 album, Land Beyond the Sun. This is followed by Willie Nelson singing In the Garden. This version of the song comes from Willie's first and best gospel album, 1976's The Troublemaker. In his book, It's A Long Story: My Life Willie writes about the origins of this album. Tired of Nashville producers who just didn't get what Willie was trying to do, he found a producer who turned out to be perfect for him. This was Jerry Wexler who worked for Altantic Records. This man was hardly a producer of country music (he worked with the likes of Ray Charles and Arthea Franklin), but he knew and loved music inside out making him prefect for Willie. Wexler told Willie, "Ray [Charles] taught me something that I'll never forget. As a producer sometimes the best thing I can do is stay out of the way. Record for Altantic, Willie, and I'll get out of your way." Willie was hesitant saying that he had some ideas that were way out there. When asked what these ideas were Willie stated that he was interested in doing a gospel album. Wexler responded, "Love gospel. My favorite Aretha Franklin record is Amazing Grace. We cut it in a Baptist church. I'd been after her to do a gospel record for years. I felt that she needed to connect with her roots." Talking about the experience of making this record Willie stated, "With Sister [Willie's sister Bobbie Nelson on the piano] on the sessions and Wexler cheering me on from the booth, in two days' time we cut a dozen songs. For the first time in God knows how long, I was recording outside Nashville. Unlike the producers there, Jerry and Arif [Mardin] weren't interested in sweeteners - no angelic choirs, no overwrought strings. They wanted it raw, right and real." Next is Ray Price with Farther Long. This version of the classic hymn comes from Ray's 1993 gospel album Songs of Inspiration. This is followed by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with their 1962 recording of Peace in the Valley. The hymn was written by Thomas A. Dorsey who later explained the origins of this song, “Peace in the Valley,” “It was just before Hitler sent his war chariots into Western Europe in the late 1930s. I was on a train going through southern Indiana and saw horses, cows and sheep all grazing together in this little valley. Everything seemed so peaceful. It made me question, “What’s the matter with mankind? Why can’t men live in peace?” Out of those thoughts came “Peace in the Valley.” Next is The Carter Family with their 1935 recording of Gospel Ship. This is followed by George Jones with Leaning on the Everlasting Arms. This hymn began creation with a man named Anthony Showalter. As a fan of gospel music and an elder in a Presbyterian church, he held many "singing schools" at various churches in the south. One day he received two letters from former students who were struggling after their wives had passed. To respond to these letters, Showalter consulted scripture. He came across Deuteronomy 33:27, "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." After reading this verse lyrics for a song chorus went through his head and he wrote down, "“Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms; Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.” After using this in the letters to his former students he sent this chorus to his friend hymnist, Elisha Hoffman. In the letter he also wrote, “Here is the chorus for a good hymn from Deuteronomy 33:27, but I can’t come up with the verses.” Hoffman then wrote the rest of the lyrics to which Showalter put to music. The hymn was published in 1887. Afterwards is Conway Twitty with Clinging to a Savior's Hand. Today's musical selection ends with The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1937 recording of One More River. At this time Roy Rogers was a member of the group and voice can be clearly heard here. 































Now for a real treat of actual old west history. Here is a 1941 interview with William Henry Jackson, who lived quite a life and was a part of old west history. 



Now here is C.S. Lewis' writings about Miracles. 




The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Deuteronomy 31:8

Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Corinthians 15:58

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” Mark 10:27

If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. 1 John 4:15

Very truly I tell you, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me. John 13:20

Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses. Acts 13:38-39

He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” Mark 16:15

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Mark 10:45

Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” John 20:29

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease. Matthew 10:1

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 



https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/history-of-hymns-leaning-on-the-everlasting-arms
  
It's A Long Story: My Life by Willie Nelson








No comments:

Post a Comment