Sunday, February 27, 2022

Cowboy Church #161

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with The Sons of the San Joaquin singing Ridin' Up the Glory Trail. This song comes from the group's 2005 album, Way Out Yonder. This is followed by Willie Nelson with his self-penned gospel song, In God's Eyes. Speaking about this song Willie stated, "I needed to remind myself that, although I've strayed from the straight and narrow, I never strayed from my core beliefs. In 'In God's Eyes,' the next song in the sequence, I made that very point." This song comes from Willie's 1971 album, Yesterday's Wine. About this album Willie would state, "I looked up and simply began asking questions. Rather than keep those questions to myself, I put them into songs. The songs became my own particular prayers, my own personal reflections. I strung those prayers and reflections together in a loose-fitting suite. Music critics were throwing around the term 'concept album' - like the Beatles' Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club or Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. I suppose you could say this new notion of mine came together as a concept album. Rather than trying to write a bunch of hit singles, I simply followed the natural path taken by my mind." Next comes Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with Wings of a Dove. As strange as it might seem, as both of them later became two of the most important Hollywood stars when it came to preaching the gospel, Roy and Dale had not always been Christians. Dale later talked about when she gave her life to the Lord, "Being a stepmother was no picnic in those early years. Roy was working long hours at the studio; I felt alone - frightened, on edge and at a loss for how to handle it. My son Tom suggested that I might find the answer in church. To this day he denies it, but I believe that he and the minister conspired one Sunday night to reach me. Dr. Jack MacArthur's sermon that night was 'The House That is Built on the Rock." He told the congregation that a home built on the rock of faith can take anything that comes against it and survive. I felt certain that he was speaking directly to me, and when he finished his sermon and invited listeners to step forward and accept Christ, I yearned to go to that alter. But I did not. I fought the feeling. I was afraid of confessing my sins. "Why didn't you go?" Tom said seeing the conflict in my eyes. 'Give him your life and let him give you the peace you've sought for so long.' 'Tom I am a Christian,' I argued I've been since I was ten. Isn't that enough?' My defense sounded hollow even as I spoke the words. I simply didn't have the courage to go down that aisle. 'Give me until next Sunday,' I said to Tom, stalling for time. 'I need to think.' My son's eyes filled with tears of pity for me. He turned away. I went home and felt more alone than ever. Roy was away on a hunting trip. That night I fell to my knees at the bed and cried as I have never cried before in my life. As I cried a dam broke; out poured a long and stammering confession. All those years of my life flooded past my eyes, and I shuddered at all the sins I saw. I had let so much slip away; I had been so blind to the things that really mattered; I had wanted to use Christ only as an ace up my sleeve against the possibility of future punishment and damnation. 'Forgive me, Lord God!' I cried "Let me live until next Sunday and I will go down that aisle.' I did live and when the time came, I nearly bounced from my pew so I could come clean with God. I didn't shout out all my life's misdeeds/ I simply remembered them before Him. I asked Him to come into my heart, to take my life and use it for his glory. As I got up from my knees that day, I felt as though a crushing burden had been lifted from my back and shoulders. When I left church, the sky was a brighter blue than it had ever been; flowers were bursting with colors I had never seen. Every tree along the road home sang to me; branches waved with glee; I was ecstatic." I know this quote is much longer than those I usually use on this blog, but I found the story so powerful as I was reading it, I needed to share the whole thing. I hope this story blesses you the way it did me. Though Roy was originally skeptical about her new faith and even had his doubts whether there was a God, one day he would go to church with Dale and be so moved that he walked down that aisle himself and gave his life to the Lord. Next comes Johnny Cash with I Talk to Jesus Every Day. This song has an important message that is very simple but one that we all need to hear sometimes. Sometimes it is too easy to go a day without praying. We think what the harm in can be going just one day without praying. The problem is that one day has tendency to turn into many more days. I have fallen into this trap and so have many of you. I know when I have fallen into it that is when I start thinking less and less like a Christian, until I become undistinguishable from someone who doesn't know Christ. However, the more I pray, I the more I think and act like a Christian. Therefore, it is important for all of us to remain in prayer, so we don't fall down this messy trap. This song comes from Johnny's 1971 album, Man in Black. This is followed by Lorretta Lynn singing Amazing Grace. This hymn was written by John Newton in 1772. It is no considence that John Newton wrote this hymn, as he was someone who badly needed God's grace. Looking at his life before he gave it to God, there is not much to find that is admirable and in fact some of what we see is downright horrific. He played a part in one of the darkest (if not the darkest) parts of American history. He was a slave trader. To say that slavery in the United States was a tragedy and a horrible part of our history is an incredible understatement, and this man was a part of that horrific system. Later he even admitted that he treated the human beings that he was bringing over harshly. If there is anyone, we in our humanness would think is beyond God to reach it would be this guy. Yet God did reach him and being God completely changed him. He not only abandoned his job, but he gave his life to God's ministry and helped fight slavery every step of the way. If God could do this with him who is to say that any of us or anyone we know could possibly be out of God's power to reach. Afterwards is Tennessee Ernie Ford with his 1956 hit song, That's All. This song was written by Merle Travis, who wrote Cousin Ernie's signature song, Sixteen Tons. Next is The Statler Brothers with King of Love. This song was written by the group's bass singer, Harold Reid and appeared on their 1969n gospel album, Oh Happy Day. Today's musical selection ends with the Sons of the Pioneers with their 1937 recording of Lord You Made the Cowboy Happy.



























Up next comes a 1948 episode of the Roy Rogers radio show entitled The Case Of The Mysterious Puppet.




Next comes C.S. Lewis' essay, The Funeral of a Great Myth




A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13:34-35

And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. - Colossians 3:14

Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. Romans 15:13 

 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. Romans 14:17

I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth. 3 John 1:4

Then he said to them, “Go, eat of the fat, drink of the sweet, and send portions to him who has nothing prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Nehemaih 8:10

The prospect of the righteous is joy, but the hopes of the wicked come to nothing. Proverbs 10:28

I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7

Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you. Isaiah 12:6

For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5

Thanks for joining me come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 




Resources Used

It's a Long Story: My Life by Willie Nelson and David Ritz

Happy Trails: Our Life Story by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. 

https://www.ocp.org/en-us/blog/entry/amazing-grace










1 comment: