Monday, December 23, 2019

Movie Review: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Michael's Movie Grade: F

Sheer and utter boredom.

Legendary movie director Billy Wilder once said that in his Ten Commandments to filmmakers the first nine were "Thou shall not bore." To me this movie broke all nine of those commandments. Though I have enjoyed some Star Wars movies, I am one of those rare movie buffs that never really got that into the series. With that in mind, I went into this film not wanting it to give me an epic conclusion to the saga, but rather to give me a fun time at the movies. I can't say how the many Star Wars fanatics will react, but this film failed to provide me with any of the fun I wanted. The humor is dreadfully unfunny, the side characters are annoying rather than fun, the main characters are devoid of anything resembling personality or likability, the dialogue is groan inducingly bad, the environments are bland and boring, and the cliché predictableness of the story is enhanced by the fact that many movies have done this much better. In other words boredom was the only emotion I felt. To be fair there is a lot of fan service, where the film plays on the nostalgia of Star Wars fans. Since I don't have that nostalgia, these scenes do nothing for me. My feeling of boredom was enhanced by the long length of the movie. Since I simply couldn't care less about anything that happened on screen, this movie seemed to drag on for an eternity. It didn't take long into this film, until I was simply ready for it to end. At times I wasn't even sure it would do that.

Maybe people who are bigger Star Wars fans than I am will enjoy this movie, but for me I found it extremely boring and painful to sit through.

-Michael J. Ruhland  

No comments:

Post a Comment