Sunday, December 29, 2019

Cowboy Church #37

Hello my friends and after that short break we are back for Cowboy Christmas, this blog is bac with another service of Cowboy Church. One addition has been made now. Along with music and bible verses each post will also include a movie starring one of my cowboy heroes such as Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Tom Mix, William S. Hart or John Wayne. 

Today's musical selection starts off with the king of bluegrass Bill Monroe with his 1958 recording of I Am a Pilgrim. Next comes Ernest Tubb singing a gospel song he wrote himself, The Right Train to Heaven. He made this recording in 1937, however it was not released until 1942, when Ernest Tubb was a more popular name in country music. Next comes and toe tappingly fun upbeat gospel sung and written by Hank Williams, I'm Gonna Sing Sing Sing. This is followed by Gene Autry with his 1956 recording of There's No Backdoor to Heaven. This is from his final recording session with Columbia records. After this is Johnny Cash and The Carter Family performing the song, Where You There on the Grand Ole Opry for TV in 1960. John was going through a rough patch at this time and it certainly shows in the way he looks. However his voice still sounds amazing here and speaking of amazing voices Anita Carter is in perfect form. I shared this next song multiple times in these Cowboy Church posts but I can't help but to share it again, so here is The Sons of the Pioneers' incredible 1937 recording of Power in the Blood. Leonard Slye (later to change his name to Roy Rogers) was still a member of the group at this time and sings lead on this song. His voice is instantly recognizable. Next comes George Jones with The Lilly of the Valley. This recording comes from his 1966 gospel album, Old Brush Arbors. This album is essential listening for all country gospel fans. I end today's musical selection off with Roy Acuff's 1947 recording of The Great Judgement Morning

























Today's feature presentation is My Pal Trigger (1946) staring Roy Rogers and of course Trigger. This is one of Roy's finest movies. It has the typical action and music that we all love to see in Roy Rogers films, but there is also a surprising amount of emotion and sentimentality that certainly works to the movie's advantage. Don't worry though this doesn't take the fun away at all. An exhibitor's review from the Motion Picture Herald stated, "This is our favorite. Roy really puts life into our situation. Keep up the good work, Roy Rogers." A review in Photoplay magazine stated, "This picture is tight-knit, has a genuine sincerity and is filled with well-worked suspense." I agree this is a delightful movie on all levels.  





Therefore I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; My God will hear me. Micah 7:7Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead 1 Peter 1:3Then He who sat on the throne said, ‘Behold, I make all things new.’ And He said to me, ‘Write, for these words are true and faithful. Revelation 21:5Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17

For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jerimiah 29:11

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him..."Lamenations 3:22-24

THanks for joining me come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy Traails to you until we meet again.






-Michael J. Ruhland


No comments:

Post a Comment