Sunday, August 4, 2019

Cowboy Church #21

Hello my friends ad welcome to another addition of Cowboy Church. 

We begin our musical selection with The Sons of the Pioneers performing Cole Porter's classic cowboy song, The Last Roundup. This version is from the classic Roy Rogers film, Don't Fence Me In (1945). Watching this scene is as delightful as listening to the music as there is lots of great humor involving character actor Gabby Hayes (a regular in Roy's movies). Next comes Roy Rogers and Dale Evans performing the gospel classic Whispering Hope from their 1962 album, The Bible Tells Me So. Next comes Johnny Cash performing Greystone Chapel from his legendary 1968 album, At Folsom Prison. This song was written by Glen Shirley, who was an inmate in Folsom at the time. Singing background on this song is The Statler Brothers and Carl Perkins can be heard as one of the guitar players. After this is Dwight Yoakam singing a fun gospel song called Hold onto God  This song was written by Dwight himself and came off his 1988 album, Buenas Noches From a Lonely Room. Next comes Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson performing Family Bible together. I love Willie and Johnny joking about how there is a tougher chord in this song and the fact that Willie was simply a better guitar player. This is followed by Roy Acuff and his Smokey Mountain Boys performing the gospel classic When I Lay My Burdens Down  in a bluegrass inspired 1940 recording. We end our musical selection off with Gene Autry performing God's Little Candles from the feature film, Pack Train (1953). 




















Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say rejoice. Philippians 4:4

And the spirit has rejoiced in God my savior. Luke 1:47

Those who have hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

Behold I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction. Isaiah 48:10

For God so loved the World that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

   Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28-29
Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for more Cowboy Church. until then Happy Trails to you, until we meet again.



    


-Michael J. Ruhland

No comments:

Post a Comment