Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Movie Review: The Angry Birds Movie 2

Michael's Movie Grade: B+

To be honest I didn't care for the first Angry Birds Movie. I simply just did not find that film enjoyable. That is what made how much I enjoyed  The Angry Birds Movie 2 so surprising.

While humor plays a major part in most mainstream animated movies today, few of them turn out to be out and out comedies. This movie is completely an out and out comedy. This film throws everything but the kitchen sink at us to make us laugh and shockingly that works very well. The gags come at us at such a rapid speed that we never have time to except them. Because of this even the jokes that didn't make me laugh, still helped the film have such an irresistible comedic energy. There were plenty of times I laughed out loud though here. All the characters are given their turn to shine comedically and they do. I even found the hatchlings' side-story hilarious. All of these jokes are delivered fantastically. They are fast paced enough to constantly contribute to the comedic energy of the film, but never too fast to lose their comedic impact. The animation is fantastically energetic and hilariously cartoony. The voice work is fantastic as well. The cast delivers each verbal joke fantastically. It does take a little while until this film's comedic energy fully gets going but when it does, it never stops. Admittedly I am a huge fan of over the top slapstick cartoon humor  (something that sadly seems to becoming rarer these days), and so a movie like this feels like a fantastic change of pace for me.

I will not talk more about this movie as I don't want to give away any of its great humor. This is an excellent film.

-Michael J. Ruhland  

No comments:

Post a Comment