Sunday, March 17, 2019

Cowboy Church #1

Welcome to a new weekly instalment on this blog entitled Cowboy Church. A Cowboy Church post will go up every Sunday. Each post will feature some classic country gospel music, some bible verses and various items about one of more old western movies.
First up our music selection begins with one of country music's all time finest singer-songwriters Hank Williams, performing his own self penned I Saw the Light on one of his rare TV appearances, look for a young June Carter (before she married Johnny Cash) in this video. Next up comes Willie Nelson and Dyan Cannon performing the old gospel tune, Unclouded Day in the movie, Honeysuckle Rose (1980). How can you have Cowboy Church without Gene Autry and Roy Rogers. Here we have them performing a gospel song each. Gene sings a great gospel song written by Johnny Lange, Hy Heath and Sonny Burke, called Somebody Bigger than You or I. This version is from Gene's feature film, The Old West (1952). Roy sings the gospel classic Peace in the Valley. This recording comes from the 42nd episode (The Rene Eigen Case) of Roy's radio show.  After this comes Johnny Cash performing his self penned I Was There When it Happened on TV. Next Charlie Daniels Band's version of Somebody Was Praying For Me. We end with the Hee Haw Gospel Quartet (Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Grandpa Jones, Kenney Price) performing Where Could I Go but to the Lord on a 1980 episode of Hee Haw
























“Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; ‘For YAH, the LORD, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation.’" Isaiah 12:2

"“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,  as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Movie preview for King of the Cowboys starring Roy Rogers.






     
An article from Hollywood Magazine About Gene Autry, from 1940.










Now to end with here is a silent short western film starring none other than Tom Mix. So enjoy, Sagebrush Tom (1915).




-Michael J. Ruhland


No comments:

Post a Comment