Wednesday, October 26, 2022

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo!: Scooby in Kwackyland

 



An episode that seems tailor fitted to me.

In this episode Demondo, one of the 13 Ghosts traps our heroes in the newspaper comics page. 

For pretty much my whole life I have loved newspaper comics and to have an episode of Scooby-Doo! that is a tribute to this wonderful artform is something that really appeals to me. I love that the comic strips that the characters visit are loosely based off real comic strips. They have their basis in these real comic strips but are not simply parodies or copies of the famous comic strips. Instead they are their own thing. Also to see these characters interact in a completely different type of environment (and one that is so dear to me) is something that was a lot of fun. The artwork here really takes advantage of this unique environment for Scooby and it is just as delightful to look at as your typical Scooby artwork. There is also quite a bit of good humor in this episode and the scene with Weerd and Bogel impersonating Shaggy and Daphne was simply delightful.

If I had one complaint it would be that Demondo's design is not all that creepy or memorable. 

This is a really fun episode. 

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite of the series b=just n=by the virtue of its sheer goofiness. And even though his theme song is really just the Grape Ape one with different lyrics, I love Platypus Duck. PD is actually a character writer Tom Ruegger created as his first cartoon while a student at Dartmouth. He still uses him in his own projects. There's even a "The Platypus Duck Reanimate" vid on YouTube where a bunch of animators team up to re-animate his appearance in this episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree this episode is simply delightful. Thanks for the info, I will definitely have to check that video out.

      Delete