Monday, March 2, 2020

Movie Review: My Boyfriend's Meds (Las Pildoras De Mi Novio)

Michael's Movie Grade: F

Bottom of the barrel Mexican comedy.

When I review I comedy, my main criteria is whether or not I laughed. This movie did not give me even one little laugh. Every joke was lazily written. The film went for cheap easy laughs and couldn't even get those. So much of the humor simply revolves around the idea of our main character doing embarrassing things because he is no longer on his meds. However most of these jokes have little set up or pay off besides what I have already said. Hearing someone yell cuss words, seeing them hallucinating or watching them hump a random woman's leg like a dog (I so wish I made up) in itself is not funny. There are few actual jokes, instead we simply watch him embarrass himself Another problem with this humor is that the movie wants you to care about and relate to this character, yet we are supposed to constantly laugh at him doing embarrassing things. This gives the film a mean-spiritedness and unpleasantness, that I doubt the filmmakers had in mind. The jokes that do not revolve around this are mostly crude sex jokes. These jokes are handled in the same way as the mental illness jokes. Just like how him doing embarrassing stuff in and of itself is supposed to be funny, the sex jokes are supposed to be funny simply because they are crude. There are simply too many comedies out there that don't understand that sex jokes aren't funny because of how vulgar they are but rather because of writing and delivery. This idea completely escapes My Boyfriend's Meds. The characters and story are not fleshed out and not to be taken too seriously. They exist many for the sake of the humor. This could work if the humor was funny, but since its not this makes the film even worse.

I will say Jamie Camil gives his all to the performance in this movie. He tries to bring a real energy to the lifeless jokes. Unfortunately there is nothing he can do to save the lazy, horrible humor.

This movie is a lesson in how not to make a comedy and I suggest avoiding it at all costs.

-Michael J. Ruhland    

No comments:

Post a Comment