Sunday, March 1, 2020

Cowboy Church #46



Hello my friends and welcome back to another service of Cowboy Church.

Today's musical selection starts off with The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1937 recording of the gospel classic, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms. At this time the group was made up of Bob Nolan, Tim Spencer, Leonard Slye, Lloyd Permann, Karl, Farr and Hugh Farr. This was Leonard Slye's last year as a member of the group as he would leave and start a movie career as Roy Rogers. Next is The Gospel Plowboys with When Our Crops Are Laid By from their 2019 album When The Crops Are Laid By. This is followed by Bill Monroe and His Bluegrass Boys with their 1954 recording of He Will Set Your Fields on Fire. This is followed by Johnny Cash with his self-penned gospel song, What on Earth Will You Do For Haven's Sake. God had saved Johnny Cash's life many times and as he understood this more and more he became busier about his father's business. True he messed up and sinned many times, but so did David and God called David a man after his own heart. This song is about not just sitting idlily by comfortable in our salivation but rather to be actively about God's business. In his memoir, Never Look at the Empty Seats, Charlie Daniels wrote, "I think the most pressure I was ever under as a songwriter was when I wrote the songs for our first gospel album, The Door. It was such a special project to me. I wanted it to be much more than just another gospel album. I wanted the lyrics to have impact and hopefully speak to some of the people who, like me, had such a hard time understanding the gospel message and were falling through the cracks." (Daniels, 260) Charlie worked very hard on each song and rewrote some multiple times. The effort paid off. This fantastic 1994 album shows The Charlie Daniels Band at their best and it won them their first Dove Award. A song I really like a from this album is Praying to the Wrong God. Next is Skeeter Davis with How Beautiful Heaven Must Be. This version comes from her 1967 gospel album, Hand and Hand With Jesus. Ending this musical selection is The Sons of the San Joaquin with I'll Fly Away. This recording comes from their 1997 album Gospel Trails.





















The film for today is a William S. Hart short, Knight of the Trail (1915).



\
Psalm 27
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?


2 When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall.


3 Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.


4 One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.


5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.


6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.


7 Hear my voice when I call, LORD; be merciful to me and answer me.


8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, LORD, I will seek.


9 Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, God my Savior.


10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.


11 Teach me your way, LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.


12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, spouting malicious accusations.


13 I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.


14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD
.

Psalm 32

1 Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the one whose sin the LORD does not count against them and in whose spirit is no deceit.
3 When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night your hand was heavy on me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.
5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin.
6 Therefore let all the faithful pray to you while you may be found; surely the rising of the mighty waters will not reach them.
7 You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
9 Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.
10 Many are the woes of the wicked, but the LORD’s unfailing love surrounds the one who trusts in him.
11 Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men Titus 2:11

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. Revelation 3:20

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. James 5:16

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Phillipians 2:3

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand Isaiah 41:10


Thank you for joining me come back next week for another service of cowboy Church. Happy trails until we meet again.





-Michael J. Ruhland



No comments:

Post a Comment