Sunday, March 22, 2020

Cowboy Church #49

Hello my friends and welcome to another service of Cowboy Church.

Today's musical selection begins with Dale Evans singing Jesus is my Closest Friend. Next is a delightful Sons of the Pioneers original, The Sea Walker. This song was written by one of the group's founding members, Tim Spencer. This recording was made in 1947 and the lineup of The Sons of the Pioneers at this time was Tim Spencer, Bob Nolan, Lloyd Perryman, Pat Brady, Hugh Farr and Karl Farr. This is followed by Jerry Lee Lewis performing In the Garden on a 1983 episode of the Austin City Limits TV show.  Afterwards is Cowboy Copas with his 1950 recording of From the Manger to the Cross. We jump ahead a few decades for a song off of George Strait's 2011 album, Here For a Good Time. This song, called Three Nails and a Cross, is one of my favorite of king George's songs. George has a co-writing credit on this song that he shares with Bobby Boyd, Dean Dillon and his son Bubba. We then jump back to 1950 to hear Hank Loklin sing The Holy Train. Then we jump back further for the Prairie Ramblers with their 1935 recording of Do Lord Remember Me. This is followed by one of the legends of rockabilly, Carl Perkins with a medley of old gospel tunes. The songs included in this medley include Amazing Grace, Down By the Riverside, I'll Fly Away and Old Time Religion. This was recorded live in Suffolk in 1978. In his memoir, Never Look at the Empty Seats, Charlie Daniels wrote, "I think the most pressure I was ever under as a songwriter was when I wrote the songs for our first gospel album, The Door. It was such a special project to me. I wanted it to be much more than just another gospel album. I wanted the lyrics to have impact and hopefully speak to some of the people who, like me, had such a hard time understanding the gospel message and were falling through the cracks." (Daniels, 260) Charlie worked very hard on each song and rewrote some multiple times. The effort paid off. This fantastic 1994 album shows The Charlie Daniels Band at their best and it won them their first Dove Award. That is why I am including a song from that album, Jesus Died For You, in this Cowboy Church post. 
























But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

The Lord is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him. Exodus 15:2

Whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:11

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. Romans 8:18

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Luke 12:6-7

For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 2 Corinthians 1:5

 From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” Matthew 4:17

Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? Romans 2:4

Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you. Revelation 3:3

Thank you for joining me come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church.  Happy Trails to you until we meet again.





-Michael J. Ruhland

1 comment: