Monday, May 28, 2018

Movie Review: Beast

Review Written By Michael J. Ruhland













Michael's Movie Grade: A+

Review: An intense and thought provoking thriller that simply put is pure cinematic art.

More than anything this movie is a character study. The character we are studying is Moll (Jessie Buckley), a young woman who is constantly psychologically tortured by her family, and is in love with a suspicious stranger (Johnny Flynn). Despite her tragic circumstances, we are never sure if our allegiance is supposed to be with her. She is not always completely likable and we wonder how much of what she says (even to herself) is true. What she is always though is fascinating. Due to both Michael Pearce's very intelligent script (he also directed the movie) and Jessie Buckley's incredible performance, I found it impossible to look away whenever she was onscreen. I needed to see more of this puzzle of a woman.

As well as a great lead character this is also a film that kept me on the edge of my seat. I never knew what was going to happen next. When I thought I did the film startled me by doing something shockingly different. While I won't give anything away the ending was the biggest shock of all and when the end credits started to roll, I stared blankly at the screen, thinking about this ending and just what the film was staying here. I stayed after the credits stopped rolling just mesmerized by what I had seen on screen, and that ending.

Also enhancing this film is Benjamin Kracun's amazing cinematography. It is not only beautiful to look at but it pulls you perfectly into the intensity of the story while still always feeling natural.

Shockingly this is director and writer, Michael Pearce's first feature film and it is easily a compete triumph. If this is a sign of his future work, cinema has found another incredible artist. Don't miss this.


-Michael J. Ruhland
 

No comments:

Post a Comment