Sunday, February 23, 2020

Cowboy Church #45



Hello my friends and welcome back to another round of Cowboy Church.

Today's musical selection begins with Gene Autry performing God's Little Candles in a clip from the movie, Pack Train (1953). Next comes another song from a Gene Autry film, however this one is not performed by Gene, but rather by The Cass County Boys. The song is Ezekiel Saw the Wheel and the movie is Barbed Wire (1952). After this is Johnny Cash with his self-penned, My Children Walk in Truth. Following is The Monroe Brothers with their 1937 recording of Some Glad Day. To continue with some more bluegrass fun, this will be followed by Flatts and Scruggs with their high energy 1952 version of Preachin' Prayin' Singin'. Skeeter Davis gives us her 1970 recording of We Need a Whole Lot More of Jesus (and a Lot Less Rock and Roll). I only listened to a little bit of Skeeter Davis in the past, but the more of her music I listen to the more I discover what a great talent she was. Her voice is lovely and it is hard to picture anyone singing this song better than she does. Red Sovie joins in our fun with his 1956 recording of I Got Religion The Old Time Way, a song he co-wrote with country music legend Webb Pierce. This is followed by Roy Rogers and Foy Willing singing May the Good Lord Take a Liking To Ya from the feature film, Trigger Jr. (1950). After this is one of my favorites as The Sons of the Pioneers' 1937 version of Power in the Blood. Sons of the San Joaquin take it from there with Precious Lord, Take My Hand from their 1997 gospel album, Gospel Trails. Today's musical selection ends with Charlie Daniels Band with Tribulation from their 1997 Christian album, Steel Witness
































Today's musical selection is followed by the silent short film, Broncho Billy's Sentence (1915), staring Broncho Billy, the movies' first cowboy star.



Psalm 91
 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

 Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence.

 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.
 You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

 If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling,

 no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent.
 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;
 they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
 You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
 “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
 He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.
 With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

                                                               Psalm 93

 The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed in majesty and armed with strength; indeed, the world is established, firm and secure.

 Your throne was established long ago; you are from all eternity.

 The seas have lifted up, LORD, the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.

 Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea— the LORD on high is mighty.


Your statutes, LORD, stand firm; holiness adorns your house for endless days.

While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, he told this parable: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up.” “Some fell on rock, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants.” “Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.” When he said this, he called out, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” Luke 8:4-8 

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 1 Timothy 1:15

Thank you for joining me come back next week for another Cowboy Church post. Happy trails to you until we meet again.



-Michael J. Ruhland

No comments:

Post a Comment