Monday, November 11, 2019

Movie Review: Last Christmas

Michael's Movie Grade: B

A sweet and charming Christmas movie.

I will be honest, I adore Christmas movies. It doesn't matter how sweet and sappy they get, I still adore them. This is probably why I am more susceptible to this film's charms than a lot of critics were. True this film offers nothing new and can often feel too much like a tradition romcom for some, but it is genuinely heartwarming and that is just what I want from a Christmas movie. Much of this charm comes from the film's lead actress, Emilia Clarke. Unlike many of you, I have never seen an episode of Game of Thrones, but even with never having seen that Emilia has left quite an impression on me through her movies (for all the film's faults, her performance in Me Before You, especially impressed me). This movie only makes me appreciate her more. Watching her here, I can see her making an incredible career in lighthearted comedies. She brings such a simple and seemingly effortless charm to this type of role. She tells you more about her character through simple expressions in her face than could ever be told in dialogue. She commands the screen each time she appears, bringing the perfect amount of energy to this role. Despite being known for his over the top and often very vulgar slapstick comedies, director Paul Feig does a surprisingly good job in this more low key movie. You can tell that he is truly a fan of this type of Christmas movie and gives himself fully into the pure sappy sentimentality. There is a full sense of sincerity here that is completely and utterly charming.

This movie may be sappy and corny, but sometimes that is just what you want from a Christmas movie and this movie gives Christmas addicts like me their much needed fix of Christmas cheer. So just sit back and let the holiday spirit overcome you.

-Michael J. Ruhland      

No comments:

Post a Comment