Monday, August 3, 2026

Movie Review: Hadestown the Musical

 


Michael's Movie Grade: A+

A brilliant, filmed stage musical. 

The stage play combines the myths of Orpheus/Eurydice and Hades/Persephone into a beautiful moving story. 

As someone who has never really kept up with popular stage plays, despite always enjoying them, the way I do with movies, I came into this knowing pretty much nothing about the play coming into this movie. I honestly wasn't expecting a whole lot but found myself blown away. Everything about this play was incredible. The storyline is incredibly smart and finds the heart of these myths and understands why they can still speak to an audience today. I found myself deeply moved by this story and wanting to shed a few tears sometimes. The acting is fantastic from the main characters to the bit parts. The musical numbers are incredible. They are catchy and fun but listening to them closer shows the real depth and emotion put into this film. This play can often be simply one musical number after another. Yet the musical numbers tell the story so perfectly, that this feels like the natural and only way to tell this story. The sets and costumes are fantastic, giving this a larger than life feel. As a film, the camera work is fantastic and keeps what is clearly a filmed stage play still feeling like something truly cinematic. Despite this being obviously a stage play, I got so immersed in the story and characters that there were moments I forgot I was watching a filmed stage play. It felt so real to me. 

I am keeping this review short because I hope you go into this film knowing as little as I did. Just known you are in for a real treat.     



No comments:

Post a Comment