Michael's Movie Grade: A-
A fantastic Looney Tunes movie.
As many of you know, we almost never got to see this movie. Warner Brothers didn't release it originally instead using it as a tax write off. Luckily for us, Ketchup Entertainment picked it up and gave it the theatrical release we were all hoping for. When this movie started to get such great reviews, I was initially skeptical. I was wondering if it was actually as great as us Looney Tunes fans wanted it to be or if people were just so happy to actually see it that they exaggerated how good it was. I am happy to report that this is a wonderful movie.
I have rarely heard an audience laugh so much in a movie theater at a modern comedy than I did here. And I went to a late-night showing, so this was not an audience of kids but of adults who grew up with and love these characters. Simply put this is just a darn funny movie. In the style of classic Looney Tunes cartoons, this film offers one gag after another. What is even more amazing is that nearly every gag hits here perfectly. There are times when the space between very funny gags is only enough to take a breath between laughing. Also like the classic Looney Tunes shorts, every type of humor is employed. There is simple silly slapstick, brilliantly clever satire and everything in-between. What most impressed me is the slapstick gags. It is rare to find a modern comedy that captures the perfect sense of timing that was so evident in the classic Looney Tunes shorts. Yet the timing of these slapstick gags is absolutely perfect.
What is more surprising though is that the storyline is also great as well. We actually truly care about and relate to the characters' plights. This is not only true of the classic cartoon characters but the live action humans as well. Will Forte as the live action lead is fantastic and brings some real heart to what is still a silly movie. There are scenes where we want to stand up and cheer for what happened.
If I had to fault this movie it would be on the basis of the combination of live action and animation. Sometimes these two don't always blend together extremely well. There are times when the animated characters and the live action characters, don't seem to fully occupy the same space the way they did in Space Jam or Back in Action. However, this flaw is completely overcome but how great everything else is.
If you are a Looney Tunes fan (like me) this is a must watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment