Sunday, June 5, 2022

Cowboy Church #175

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with The Bible Tells Me So. Roy and Dale were strong Christians in their later years and their entertainment careers became simultaneous with their faith as they took every chance they could to spread the word of God. They also greatly supported others who shared the faith. One of those they supported was the Reverend Billy Graham and when the King of the Cowboys and the Queen of the West toured Great Britian they would tell their audiences to see Billy in London. They were warned not to try that when they went to Dublin, but Dale responed that Billy was the reason they came across the seas in the first place. Dale also let any naysayers know that when they had perfromed How Great Thou Art in Ireland, they got a standing ovation. This lead them to meeting the chaplain for the Abbey Players, a troupe of actors in Ireland. He asked them what kind of man Billy was and Dale responded, "he is the most utterly dedicated, committed Christian I have ever met in my life." The chaplain responded, "You tell Mr. Graham that I said God bless him." Dale would later write, "I will never forget the sincerity in that man's voice when he said those words." This is followed by Stonewall Jackson with Blessed Jesus Hold My Hand. This version of the hymn comes from Jackson's 1969 gospel album, The Old Country Church. Next we join The Chuck Wagon Gang with Standing on the Promises of God.  This hymn was written by Russell Carter in 1886. Working as a sheep herder he developed a heart condition. This led him to pray much more often, and he began to get closer to God every day. When he was healed, he vowed to "stand on the promises of God" and wrote this song. Red Sovine  is one of the great performers of truck driving country songs. This next spoken word song is very much in that vein, Truck Driver's Song. Though many of us are not truck drivers, regardless of our profession, it is healthy and always a good idea to pray about our work day everyday before we start our job.  Next comes The Carter Family's classic 1927 recording of Can The Circle Be Unbroken. This song was based off of the 1907 Christian hymn (written by Charles H. Gabriel and Ada R. Habershon), Will the Circle Be Unbroken. Uncle A.P. Carter reworked this song changing the lyrics to be about the death of a mother. Though this version would be covered by an incredible amount of artists, many of them would change the title back to Will the Circle Be Unbroken as well as changing that one word in the chorus. However these cover versions would use A.P.'s lyrics for the rest of the song. This is one of my all time favorite songs, because it is a sad song, but one which also finds hope within its darkness. This is a song about trusting in God in times when it is very difficult to, which is something many gospel songs don't cover but which many Christians struggle with. While working for Sun Rerecords, Johnny Cash did not record as many gospel songs as he later would, because producer Sam Phillips did not feel that gospel music would sell. However John did get a few gospel songs recorded for the studio, including My Treasure. This is followed by Hank Snow with his 1954 recording of It's Reveille Time In Heaven. Then comes Randy Travis with The Heart of Worship. Today's musical selection ends with The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1937 recording of Power in the Blood. Roy Rogers (his name was still Leonard Slye at this time) sings lead on this song. 






































Today's movie trailer is for another incredible western film, High Noon (1952).








Motion Picture Daily, 1952




Now a message from Pastor Greg Laurie.






So you shall observe to do just as the Lord your God has commanded you; you shall not turn aside to the right or to the left. Deuteronomy 5:32

 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. Romans 8:18


 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthains 4:18

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Philippians 3:12

Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise. Jeremiah 17:14

Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise. Jeremiah 17:14

LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress. Isaiah 33:2

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 

  



Resources Used

Happy Trails: Our Life Story by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. 

https://mediahistoryproject.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment