Sunday, June 28, 2020

Cowboy Church #63

Hello my friends and welcome to another service of Cowboy Church.

Today's musical selection begins with Gene Autry reminding us that There's No Back Door To Heaven. This song reminds us that being a Christian is not simply attending church but living life according to God's word as close we can. We shouldn't say that going to Church on Sunday means we can sin all we want on Monday. This recording was from 1956 and was one of his last for Columbia records. He would leave to form his own record label. He planned to call it Champion after his equine co-star in all his movies, but discovered that name was taken and he changed the name to Challenge. This is followed by Ransomed Bluegrass performing the old southern gospel classic, I'll Fly Away. Next comes The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1941 recording of What Wonderful Joy. This is followed by Tennessee Ernie Ford singing Somebody Bigger Than You and I. This song was written in the early 1950's by Johnny Lange, Hy Heath, and Sonny Burke. Johnny Lange and Hy Heath had previously worked together on writing the cowboy song, Mule Train. The first known recording of Somebody Bigger Than You and I was by The Ink Spots in 1951. Next is the bluegrass duo Reno and Smiley performing He Will Set Your Fields on Fire. Afterwards The Charlie Daniels Band do their rocking version of the old gospel classic There's Power in the Blood. This comes from their 2003 album How Sweet the Sound: 25 Favorite Hymns and Gospel Greats. This album won the Grammy for Best Southern, Country Or Bluegrass Gospel Album. You can tell from this album that CDB are just as passionate about gospel music as they are about southern rock or bluegrass, and this may be so far the best 21st Century album the band has put out. Following is Johnny Cash singing I'm Bound For the Promise Land from his 2003 album My Mother's Hymn Book. As I have mentioned before on this blog, this album was a collection of hymns that Johnny had been singing since his childhood in Dyess, Arkansas. John's liner notes for this song state, "Yeah even through the dark times, I always felt like I was bound for the promised land, especially singing these songs. They take you to the promised land. I remember Jerry Lee Lewis back in the Sun Record days saying we were all doing the Devil's work and we were all going to Hell. Did that scare me? No, I'd heard all that before. I just kept my eye on him (laughs) and everything worked out all right. He became a good friend." This song was written by Samuel Stennett and first appeared in John Rippon's collection A Selection of Hymns from the Best Authors, in 1787. Last is Roy Rogers and Dale Evans singing The Lord is Counting On You.






















But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:11
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. Mark 12:30

Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.  Isaiah 53:4-5

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.  2 Chronicles 7:14-15

LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress. Isaiah 33:2

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. James 5:6

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” Mark 2:17

Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. Matthew 9:35

One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched. There in front of him was a man suffering from abnormal swelling of his body. Jesus asked the Pharisees and experts in the law, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath or not?” But they remained silent. So taking hold of the man, he healed him and sent him on his way. Then he asked them, “If one of you has a child or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull it out?” And they had nothing to say. Luke 14:1-6

 He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit. Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17:27-28

Whoever loves a quarrel loves sin; whoever builds a high gate invites destruction. Proverbs 17:19

Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.
Proverbs 17:14

Evil will never leave the house of one who pays back evil for good. Proverbs 17:13

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed. Deuteronomy 31:8

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. John 16:33

Thanks for joining me come back next week for another round of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again.


-Michael J. Ruhland 








No comments:

Post a Comment