Sunday, July 21, 2019

Cowboy Church #19

Hello my friends and welcome to another addition of Cowboy Church.

We start our music selection off with The Sons of the Pioneers' 1947 recording of the gospel classic, The Old Rugged Cross. Next comes Rex Allen performing I Won't Need My Six Gun in Heaven. Next comes The Charlie Daniels Band with a cover of one of Bob Dylan's Christian Songs, Gotta Serve Somebody. Bob Dylan's Christian music period has received much criticism from music fans and critics. However me and a few others feel Bob's music from this period is actually excellent. CDB certain feels so or they would not have put out such a heartfelt cover of this song. Actually before Charlie Daniels formed CDB, he served as a backing musician on Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline album. They released a version of this song on the 2014 album Off The Grid Doing it Dylan. This is a live version of the song. Next comes Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Riders of the Purple Sage and Foy Willing performing May the Good Lord a Likin' To You in the feature film, Trigger Jr. (1950).  This is followed by Charley Pride performing Jesus Don't Give Up on Me in a 1971 recording. Next comes Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, The Statler Brothers and The Carter Family all performing Children Go Where I Send Thee in a 1971 live performance. This is the most energetic and fun performance of this song I ever heard. 















"When your days are over and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever" (2 Samuel 7:12–13).

"How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!" (Hebrews 9:14)
"This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (Matthew 26:28).

Thank you for joining me, come back next week for more Cowboy Church. Until then Happy Trails to You Until We Meet Again
.

 

-Michael J. Ruhland

No comments:

Post a Comment