Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Movie Review: Second Act

Michael's Movie Grade: C


Review: As predictable and cliché as can possibly be, but there is enough good humor and likable characters to make this film still work. This is a time passer, pure and simple, but a likeable one.

As much as I expected almost everything I saw, I will admit that the humor in this movie was better than I expected. This is not to say every joke hit, but more hit than I thought would. There are quite a few jokes that made me smile and even a couple that made me laugh out loud. Another thing that surprised me was that I legitimately like some of the supporting characters. It seems too often in movies like this that while the main characters are likable, the supporting ones are as boring as possible. This was a breath of fresh air in that department. Two of our main character's assistants (Charlyne Li, Alan Aisenberg) are very likable and provide some of the film's funniest and most charming moments.

Our main character (Jennifer Lopez) is exactly what you'd expect from a movie like this. She is likable and charming but undeveloped. We like and root for her, but don't truly believe in the character as much more than something to hang the plot on. Because of this I enjoyed what I was seeing and never got bored, but kept me from truly connecting with the film's more emotional moments.

As I stated earlier this movie is little more than a time passer, but as it is it is a pleasant one. If you want to see a nice movie, this is a nice movie, but don't except anything great from it.


-Michael J. Ruhland

No comments:

Post a Comment