Thursday, July 26, 2018

Movie Review: Teen Titans Go! to the Movies


Review Written by Michael J. Ruhland











Michael's Movie Grade: A-

Review: Teen Titans Go! makes a shockingly good transition to feature length. This film not only retains the charm of the show, but improves upon it heavily.

The show has given me moments that made me laugh out loud, but this movie had me laughing consistently throughout. The humor of this movie ranges from very clever satire of superhero movies to immature poop and fart jokes. The two mesh perfectly though because the immature humor comes naturally out of the Titan's immature personalities, while the satire is woven into the actual story. Even though I knew the show's humor is not as devoid of wit in the way so many of its detractors feel, I still didn't except the clever humor to be this clever. There is no superhero troupe that is not made fun of here. Each joke about these troupes is so funny because they all ring perfectly true. The film also makes fun of the very essence of DC's most popular characters. Two scenes involving Batman's origin story were unbelievably funny and perfect examples of dark humor at its best. The movie even makes fun of the show that inspired it. Though the show has used some of the complaints lodged against it for humor, those episodes always ended up being some of the show's weakest. However this movie surprised me by using these complaints for humor that was actually really funny.

The storyline itself in many ways feels like a Saturday morning cartoon. Usually this is a bad sign for animated movies, because when this happens more often than not the film feels padded to reach feature length. However this movie feels just the right length to tell the story and the time just breezes by.


This film will upset many fans of the 2003-2006 show for portraying the characters in such a different light. I will admit though I don't have the same fondness for that show many others have (I mean I think its a good show, but I like many superhero cartoons more), so none of those complaints ring true for me. This movie is a comedy and it made me laugh all the way through and I am very satisfied with that.


But don't go away we have a short to talk about.


The Late Batsby

Michael's Movie Grade: D

This short film is really a brief sneak peak at Lauren Faust's new TV show, DC Super Hero Girls. However this short does not really make me want to see the show. However it is so brief I don't know how much this will determine if I like the show. However here, the humor feels forced, the story uninteresting, the designs not standing out and these versions of the characters, not being the most engaging. This film was too brief and inconsequential, as to leave me with nothing else to say, but I was not a fan.


-Michael J. Ruhland      

No comments:

Post a Comment