Michael's Movie Grade: C
An okay survival flick.
In this film a former solider and a combat dog he befriended, crash and end up stranded in the wild.
This is a very typical survival movie with nothing to make it actually stand out. There is nothing more to the story than these two characters surviving in the wilderness. This leads to what is essentially a bunch of suspense set pieces. Some of these set pieces are very well done, while others revolve around poor CGI. All of them are boosted by beautiful location shooting, a good performance by Brad Pitt and an even better performance by the dog.
I know it sounds sacrilegious to say that I was not moved by a dog movie. However, I found myself completely unaffected by the scenes that were obvious supposed to pull at my heartstrings. However, I felt no connection to the human character and everything with the dog felt like something I have seen a million times before.
Despite strong performances, great location shooting and some good set pieces, this movie leaves one cold when it tries to pull on the heartstrings. The result is a film that is technically well made but empty.
No comments:
Post a Comment