Sunday, November 5, 2023

Cowboy Church #249

 Hello my friends and welcome back to another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans singing It is No Secret What God Can Do. Roy and Dale's granddaughter, Julie Rogers Pomilia would write in her book, Your Heroes, My Grandparents: A Granddaughter's Love, "It would be impossible to write a book about my grandparents without at least mentioning their faith in God. Even those who didn't agree with their beliefs respected them. For they loved people with the kind of love that built bridges instead of walls, definitely a trait that endeared them to the public, which I witnessed time and time again throughout my life." 

Afterwards is Tex Ritter and Ralph Carmichael with Salvation Oh the Joyful Sound. Salivation does not just mean going to Heaven. It means having a close and personal relationship with the God who created you and who loves you. The fact that we can talk to or walk with God is simply incredible and should never cease to amaze us. 

Then comes Wilf Carter with What a Friend We Have in Jesus. This recording comes from his 1964 gospel album, Let's Get Back to the Bible. This hymn still has an important message for us today. When it seems like there is no one to turn to at any moment of our lives, Jesus is always there. He is always there to listen to us, no matter what. More than that though he deeply cares about every single one of us. A better friend than Jesus could never be found no matter how hard we try. What a friend we have in Jesus indeed. 

Following that is The Chuck Wagon Gang with their 1941 recording of I Love My Savior Too. The Chuck Wagon Gang which in their original incarnation consisted of D.P. Carter, his Son, Jim (Ernest) Carter and his daughters, Rose (Lola) Carter Karnes and Anna (Effie) Carter Gordon Davis. The group recorded mostly old gospel songs. Incredibly the group is still around today (though with completely new members). Because of another country music family with the same last name, they have been referred to as "the other Carter Family." 

Next comes Johnny Cash singing Let the Lower Lights Be Burning. In the notes for the box set Unearthed, John wrote, "This is a very special song for me, and I'll tell you what it means to me now. When my father was dying, he was in a coma, and all my brothers and sisters and I were gathered around the bed, and we felt like telling him goodbye. But my oldest sister Louise said, 'Let's sing to him.' So, we started singing 'Let the Lower Lights be Burning.' At some point I looked at him and, though he had been sound asleep in a coma for days, his lips started moving and he started singing that song along with us. The more we would sing it the more he sang. And he opened his eyes, and he looked around at us as we were singing. Ad of course everybody had a good cry as watched him and listened to him as he sang 'Let the Lower Lights be Burning' with us." 

Then comes George Jones with Mama's Hands. This song comes from George's 1974 gospel album, In a Gospel Way

Afterwards is Bob Dylan with Gonna Change My Way of Living from 1979 Christian album, Slow Train Coming (his first album after converting to Christianity). When we give our lives to the Lord, we have to give our whole lives. We can no longer live in the sins we did before. This may sound like it would not be worth it, but it is. The peace and that Jesus gives us is beyond anything the world can and will hold through good times and bad. 

Today's musical selection ends with The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1937 recording of Power in the Blood



























Now for an episode of Gene Autry's TV show. 






Now for an essay from C.S. Lewis. 





For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8-9

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:33 

Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand. Proverbs 19:21

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. Romans 8:18 

Even to your old age I will be the same, And even to your graying years I will bear you! I have done it, and I will carry you; And I will bear you and I will deliver you. Isaiah 46:4

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal. Proverbs 12:10

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matthew 6:26

The Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made. Psalm 145:9 

And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!” Revelation 5:13

And I brought you into a plentiful land to enjoy its fruits and its good things. But when you came in, you defiled my land and made my heritage an abomination. Jeremiah 2:7 

Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed. Proverbs 19:17

Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him. Proverbs 14:31

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 














No comments:

Post a Comment