Sunday, January 8, 2023

Cowboy Church #203

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with their 1950 recording of May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to Ya

This is followed by Jim Reeves with Jim Reeves singing May the Good Bless Keep and You. This beautiful version of this song comes from Jim's 1967 gospel album, May Cathedral During the late 1950's and 60's there was a movement going through country music towards what was called Countrypolitian. This was a movement away from the harder honky tonk sounds of earlier to a softer, easy listening type of sound designed to make the genre appeal more to pop fans. While this type of country music understandably has its critics, it could work very well when done right. Jim Reeves proved to be one of the best singers to take part in this music and when he was behind the microphone Countrypolitian music worked beautifully.

Next comes The Petersens with Near the Cross. This hymn was written by Fanny Crosby, who had written many beloved hymns including Blessed Assurance and Pass Me Not, O Gentle Saviour. This song first appeared in an 1869 collection of hymns entitled Bright Jewels. One of those who put together this collection was William Doane, who would write the music for this hymn. Fanny had been blind since she was six weeks old. Evangelist Dwight L. Moody once asked Fanny, “If you could have just one wish granted, what would it be?” Fanny's answer shocked him. She said, “If I could have one wish, I’d wish that I might continue blind the rest of my life.” She explained this answer by saying “Because, after being blind for all these years, the first face I want to see now is the face of Jesus.”

Now it is time for Eddy Arnold with I Love to Tell the Story.   When recovering from a sickness, Arabella Katherine Hankey wrote a poem about the life of Christ. This poem was broken into two parts the first being called The Story Wanted (published in January, 1866) and the second called The Story Told (published in November, 1866). I Love to Tell the Story comes from this second part. In 1869 William G. Fisher put this text to music and that is the version we know today. Still it is worth noting that Hankey wrote her own music for these words, but her music was seldom used and is now forgotten.

Then comes The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1937 recording of Lord You Made the Cowboy Happy

Afterwards is Johnny Cash with Are All the Children In. This song comes from John's 1959 album, Hymns by Johnny Cash. This was the first of many gospel albums by Johnny Cash. 

Next is Roy Acuff with his 1942 recording I'll Reap My Harvest In Heaven

Today's musical selection ends with Willie Nelson singing In God's Eyes. Speaking about this song Willie stated, "I needed to remind myself that, although I've strayed from the straight and narrow, I never strayed from my core beliefs. In 'In God's Eyes,' the next song in the sequence, I made that very point." This song comes from Willie's 1971 album, Yesterday's Wine. About this album Willie would state, "I looked up and simply began asking questions. Rather than keep those questions to myself, I put them into songs. The songs became my own particular prayers, my own personal reflections. I strung those prayers and reflections together in a loose-fitting suite. Music critics were throwing around the term 'concept album' - like the Beatles' Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club or Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. I suppose you could say this new notion of mine came together as a concept album. Rather than trying to write a bunch of hit singles, I simply followed the natural path taken by my mind." 

































Now for a 1938 episode of The Lone Ranger radio show entitled, Reward Money.



Up next is C.S. Lewis' essay, Myth Becomes Fact.




I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:10

For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. James 3:17

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls. 1 Peter 1:8-9

For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay. Habakkuk 2:3

Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him. Isaiah 30:18

Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit. Be not quick in your spirit to become angry, for anger lodges in the heart of fools. Ecclesiastes 7:8-9 

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 




Resources Used

It's a Long Story: My Life by Willie Nelson and David Ritz

https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/history-of-hymns-jesus-keep-me-near-the-cross













No comments:

Post a Comment