Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Movie Review: Happening (L'événement)

 



Michael's Movie Grade: F

An unpleasant and frankly hollow movie experience. 

It seems I am alone in not liking this film, but I can find little to recommend about it. While it is admirable that this movie would openly talk about such a controversial topic as abortion, that does not make this a good film. I may be biased as I often (though not always) hate relentlessly depressing movies like this and I wouldn't be lying if I didn't say that that doesn't play a major role in me not liking the film. While I love a lot of films that have depressing and disturbing moments and even themes, movies that are simply one depressing moment after another for a whole feature length are simply painful and I frankly don't understand why anyone would want to subject themselves to such a thing. Also beyond that behind the depressing-ness of the film, there is little insight actually given. Abortion is something that is often openly discussed today (though not in movies) and there is nothing said here that we haven't heard or seen before. This movie tells us that women have a right to chose what they do with their body, illegal abortions not done by professional doctors are incredibly dangerous and unwanted pregnancy can make one a social outcast. This is especially a problem because the movie is also simply preaching to the choir. Pretty much the only people who are going to see it are those who already agree with it and I doubt if someone who disagreed would change their minds upon watching it, if they did. Meanwhile the people who agree with it will be given little that is thought-provoking or deep about it and instead simply receive a reassurance to what they already know. Therefore I can't understand why anyone would want to subject themselves to the unpleasantness of this film. This film has many scenes that are simply hard to even look and most of these scenes come off as completely gratuitous. These scenes all made me feel like walking out of the theatre upon viewing and after they were over I wish I had. 

This film may be greatly praised but I can't picture anyone actually wanting to sit and watch it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment