Saturday, June 19, 2021

Movie Review: Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It

 



Michael's Movie Grade: A-

An extremely informative, entertaining and engrossing documentary on the great actress of movies, TV and stage. 

Rita Moreno has always been an actress I have loved the work of. I saw West Side Story and Singing in the Rain at an early age and they were two of the first movies that I truly feel in love with. Still I must admit that my knowledge of her has mostly been who she was and what roles she played. This helped make this documentary all the more fascinating to me. Rita has always had a very likable presence in all the movies she appeared in, and with this film it becomes obvious that she has the same presence off screen. Though she has gone through times of self-doubt and depression, we see here that she has not let this turn herself into a figure of pity. Instead she still has a fun and silly child-like side to her that shines through whenever she is on screen. It is hard to watch and listen to her without liking her. Though there are some interviews with friends and co-workers, much of the movie is spent simply with her and that is when it shines its brightest. This movie often addresses the racism she fought and how hard it was for a Latina woman to make it in Hollywood during that era. This film is able to intelligently talk about and discuss these important issues while being very much Rita's personal story at the same time. 

For those of you who don't know the majority of Rita's story (like me), I feel like I should not go into much more detail about this film. Yet I can tell you that you will find it very informative and entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment