Sunday, April 14, 2019

Happy Birthday Loretta Lynn

Today Loretta Lynn turns 87 years old. Most of you who read this blog know that I am a huge country music fan and Loretta is definitely a singer I am quite a fan of. Now because this hit me to make this post kind of late and I have some TCM Film Festival stuff to see, there won't be much writing on this post, just a few songs from Loretta. First off we will have Loretta performing one of her earliest hits, a song which she first recorded in 1960 and written by herself, I'm a Honky Tonk Girl. Being her birthday I would regret not including this next song, Happy Birthday. This song was off her 1964 album, Songs From My Heart and was written by Ron Kitson. Loretta's most popular duet partner was Conway Twitty (yes the country singer you see on Family Guy), but Conway was not her first duet partner. Before that was the country music legend Ernest Tubb, who had been in the business since 1936 and was still at the top of his game when they made these duets in the 1960's. Here we have one of my favorite of their duets. From 1967 here is Sweet Thang. Last but not least is her hit, Hey Loretta. This song was written by Shel Silverstein, who had a great career as both a country song writer and a children's book writer. This version comes from a 1974 episode of Hee Haw.







Also happy 27th birthday to me, am glad to share this birthday with her.

-Michael J. Ruhland 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment