Saturday, December 29, 2018

Movie Review: Aquaman

Michael's Movie Grade: B-











Review: This movie does not come close to reaching the heights the recent Marvel movies have, but it is quite fun and I definitely enjoyed myself.


This is not by any means a thinking movie. It is instead a turn your mind off and enjoy yourself movie and it successeds quite well at being this. There is nothing subtle about any of the characters, what you see at first is who they were. Despite this our two leads (Jason Moma and Amber Head) are quite likable and we really root for them here. The two also have great chemistry and their banter is often quite good. How they grow from being weary of each other to developing a friendship (or maybe even more (yes I know its more in the comics, I have read some)) is done in a gradual and completely believable way. The main villain (Patrick Wilson) is dislikable enough for us to root against him and he does feel like a legitimate threat. The big CGI fights are actually quite well done and I found myself getting into them. They were fast paced and really well shot. They never dragged as so many action scenes tend to lately. Plus they look really cool. The humor here is often quite good as well.


The plot of this movie is nothing new at all. In fact those who have watched more than a few superhero movies can tell what is going to happen next. It doesn't help that this movie is so long.
Near two and a half hours of pure clichés can get tiring at times and does. I felt these clichés would have bugged me less in a shorter movie. The character of Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) is also completely unnecessary here and only seem to pad a movie that was already too long. This is also a rather bland interoperation of this character as well.

Despite these faults and the fact recent Marvel movies have been better, I enjoyed myself and I hope you will too.

-Michael J. Ruhland



No comments:

Post a Comment