Thursday, August 9, 2018

Movie Review: The Darkest Minds


Review Written by Michael J. Ruhland.



















Michael's Movie Grade: C+

Review: This is by no means one of the best movies of its kind, but for what it is I enjoyed myself and I hope if you see it you will too.

As many people have already said in their reviews of this movie, there is nothing in this movie, that the average movie goer hasn't already seen. Everything that happens in the storyline feels very familiar, and you almost always know what will happen next (even if you don't know, you won't be surprised when it happens). The influences for this movie are way too obvious. Anyone who is even slightly familiar with X-Men or Stranger Things will easily see what this movie took from there. One doesn't even have to be familiar with Watership Down to tell that influence as one of the characters picks up the book and reads a line from it, only for it to be repeated later in the movie. With all this, why did I still give this movie a passing grade? That is very simple, I still cared for what was happening on the screen. The characters are quite likable. They may not be the most fleshed out, but there is enough there for us to relate to them and not want anything bad to happen to them. More than this they have great chemistry. I even cared about the obligatory romance, which somehow never felt forced. The relationship between Ruby (Amandla Stenburg) and Zu (Miya Cech) was also pretty touching.

It is easy to see why this movie is getting panned by critics as it is very unoriginal and much of the story feels rushed, but despite me agreeing on these points, there were still parts I liked and I still had a good time watching this. I would never call this a classic or tell anybody they have to see this, but I had fun and I hope if you see this movie you will too.


-Michael J. Ruhland

No comments:

Post a Comment