Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Movie Review: Black Panther

Review Written By Michael J. Ruhland












Michael's Movie Grade: B

Review: Very good and sometimes thought provoking superhero movie may not be perfect but what works, really works.

The best thing about this movie is the nation of Wakanda, itself. This is a beautifully thought out and extremely well crafted environment. From when you first see this place, the film does exactly what a fantasy movie should do. It transports you to another world. There is so much attention to detail here that you could swear it was real. This movie also deals with serious real world theme like isolationism. Unlike many other action movies, this theme is not forced in so the filmmaker can preach to us. Instead it is perfectly woven into the story to the point where it becomes an important part of it and something you can not separate from the story. This theme is also is discussed very intelligently and realistically. There are no easy answers given and any choice the characters will make will have some negative consequences. One thing that really impressed me about this movie was the villain. I have come to the point when I see a Marvel movie I automatically assume the villain is going to be a weak point in the movie and I am almost always proven right. This movie however had a great villain. The character feels real and human at all times. He is a complex and well thought out character and one that is always fun to watch. Also with super hero movies lately trying to shove in as many superheroes as possible, it is great to see a superhero movie that is all about one superhero.

However this is not a perfect movie. The Jabari Tribe feel like they are forced into this movie for plot convenience. There is simply nothing interesting about these characters. The biggest problem with this film though is the action scenes. These scene not only offer nothing new, but they also go on much too long. This is especially true of the climatic action scene near the end. This scene felt like it was never going to end. Though I was highly enjoying the movie before this scene, I found myself getting extremely bored as the fight just went on and on. I simply was losing interest in a movie I was highly enjoying earlier. Still with the fact that I highly enjoyed the rest of the movie, this does not stop me in the slightest from giving my recommendation for this movie.

-Michael J. Ruhland  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment