Sunday, July 30, 2023

Cowboy Church #235

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with How Great Thou Art.  In the book, Happy Trails: Our Life Story, Roy tells of a story that had to do with this song. "I'll tell you about one time we nearly got into a real war with the promoters: at the World Championship Rodeo at Madison Square Garden in 1952. During the first rehearsal I started to practice 'How Great Thou Art,' a religious song I wanted to make the centerpiece of our musical act. There's a line in that song that goes, 'Then sings my soul my Savior God to Thee...' Someone in the front office heard the rehearsal and came to me that night to tell me I wasn't allowed to mention Christ at the rodeo. 'It might work for the kids in Houston, Texas' he told me, 'But this is New York. You can't preach to kids here.' I told him I wasn't preaching but that the Savior was a part of the song and I fully intended to sing that song in New York or anywhere else we performed. They suggested that I could change the words of the song, so it didn't mention Him. I'm not one for grandstand plays but I told those fellas that if I couldn't sing 'How Great thou Art' just how it was written, Dale and I would pack up and leave town. The song stayed in the show. That year we did forty-three performances over twenty-six days and broke all Madison Square Garden attendance records."

This is followed by Janie Fricke with The Old Rugged Cross. This song dates back to 1913 and was written by evangelist, George Bennard. Actually, the first verse was written in 1912. It was written while Bennard was a part of a series of revival meetings in Albion, Michigan. He was worried about the complete disregard for the gospel around him and wrote this verse as a repose. Of writing it Bennard said, "I seemed to have a vision ... I saw the Christ and the cross inseparable." The song wouldn't be completed for several months, when he was leading meetings at a local church in Pokagan, Michigan. He played it for Rev. Leroy (the sponsoring pastor) and his wife, Ruby Bostwick, both of whom found themselves moved to tears. It was then incorporated into a service at that church on June 7, 1913. The song has the same effect today as it must have back then.

Then comes The Blue Sky Boys with their 1936 recording of Hymns My Mother Sang. It is amazing how much old hymns can stay with us. These old hymns speak to us in a way few songs (either old or recent) can. I know sometimes when I am struggling with something, the words of these hymns come straight back to me and move me. They strengthen my faith and help me know that God is in control.

Next comes Johnny Cash with I'm a Newborn Man. This song was written by John and his wife June. It came from John's 1979 double length gospel album, A Believer Sings the Truth. Columbia Records did not have much faith in how a double length gospel album would sell and did not want to release this album. However John (with Columbia's blessing) would release the album under his own Cachet label. In 1982 Columbia would reissue the album on the Columbia label. In 1984 Columbia would release a much shorter version of the album as I Believe

Next comes Kris Kristofferson with Burden of Freedom. This version of the song comes from Kris' 1972 album, Border Lord. He would later make another version for his 2006 album, This Old Road. A year before Kris wrote this song he had responded to an alter call and this song and Why Me Lord were responses to what that spiritual experience, one that Kris himself admitted he didn't fully understand yet. Around this time a resurgence was happening with Christian music. A lot had happened in recent years and as many young people had turned to God, they brought along their own types of music, that meant something to them personally. Therefore much Christian music was no longer hymns but mire contemporary sounding music that paid tribute to God while reflecting the world these young Christians had grown up in. Johnny Cash would often play before these audiences as part of concerts mostly made up of the younger artists. Feeling it would be good for Kris to be in such an environment, John invited Kris and his wife Rita Coolidge to perform as well. Kris would play his own songs like Burden of Freedom or Why Me Lord. Yet Kris felt decidedly uncomfortable at these concerts. He would say about the experience, "I was singing songs, I thought were spiritual but people wanted to hear more songs specifically about Jesus. Eventually I had to tell John that I couldn't do these types of shows anymore I felt like a hypocrite." (A Man Called Cash by Steve Turner)

Afterwards is The Charlie Daniels Band with There's Power in the Blood. Though it may be simple doctrine that we have heard since Sunday school, I hope we never forget how much power there truly is in the blood of Jesus. No matter what temptations and struggles we may face in life, Jesus' blood spilled on Calvary's cross has overcome all of it. With man something may be impossible but with God all things are possible. 

Then comes Cowboy Copas with Remember Man Thou Art Dust. While there are people who may be great by human standards, when you compare even the greatest person in the world to God there is simply no comparison. This is why we should not take too much pride in our own ways but should live according to each and every word of God.

Today's musical selection ends with The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1935 recording of One More River to Cross.  




























Now for a message from Lonnie Frisbee. 




Now for some real old west history. Here are the words of Wyatt Earp on the old west itself. The words are read by Steve Berwick.



 




No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:9

But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one. 2 Thessalonians 3:3

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23

For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7

Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock. Isaiah 26:4

How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. Acts 10:38 

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. 1 Peter 1:3

Thank you for joining me. Com back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 













No comments:

Post a Comment