Sunday, February 19, 2023

Cowboy Church #209

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1948 recording of Power in the Blood

This is followed by Hank Williams and his wife Audrey with their 1948 recording of I Heard My Mother Praying For Me. his song was credited to being written by Audrey Williams, yet on an episode of the Mothers Best radio show a few years later, Hank Williams introduced the song saying he wrote it. Audrey was very adamant about wanting to record some religious songs with her husband and kept bringing it up to Hank until Hank finally agreed and then convinced his manager Fred Rose. Though Audrey often gets a lot of criticism for her singing voice, the truth is it is not too bad here and their two voices match quite well on this duet at least. This gospel songs the two recorded together were heavily inspired by the husband-and-wife evangelists that both were very familiar with. 

Next is Billy Walker with Only One Prayer Away. It is always amazing to me that the God who created the universe is always there to listen to anything we have to say. No matter what we have done or how alone we feel, he is always there for us, ready to give us a rest and a peace beyond anything we could ever imagine. 

Then comes The Sons of the San Joaquin with Lead Me Gently Home. This recording comes from the group's 1997 gospel album, Gospel Trails

Now for Cowboy Copas with his 1953 recording of The Man Upstairs. If you haven't talked to the man upstairs recently, you really should. God always wants to hear from his children and he never once stops caring about us. Even with the little things that we sometimes doubt that he cares about, he cares more deeply than we'll ever know. 

 Next is Johnny Cash with I Won't Have to Cross Jordan Alone. This hymn was written by Charles Durham. Durham's day job was as a postman, yet he found himself often moved by God and wanted to write down what God would speak to him. He carried a paper and pencil with him on each trip, in case a hymn would come to him, while he was on his route. It is believed that he wrote over 100 hymns this way. Later in life he would publish hymn books and organize gospel quartets. His first hymn was published in 1912. This hymn was published in 1934. John's version of the hymn comes from his 1962 album, Hymns From the Heart. This was his second full gospel album.

Then comes Chet Atkins with a 1962 instrumental version of The Old Rugged Cross. The hymn dates back to 1913 and was written by evangelist, George Bennard. Actually, the first verse was written in 1912. It was written while Bennard was a part of a series of revival meetings in Albion, Michigan. He was worried about the complete disregard for the gospel around him and wrote this verse as a repose. Of writing it Bennard said, "I seemed to have a vision ... I saw the Christ and the cross inseparable." The song wouldn't be completed for several months, when he was leading meetings at a local church in Pokagan, Michigan. He played it for Rev. Leroy (the sponsoring pastor) and his wife, Ruby Bostwick, both of whom found themselves moved to tears. It was then incorporated into a service at that church on June 7, 1913. The song has the same effect today as it must have back then.

Today's musical selection ends with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with Do What the Good Book Says. Jesus said, " If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other." There is nothing greater in this life than to call Jesus our friend and if we do what the good book says, this friendship only strengthens.































Now for chapter 2 of Gene Autry's movie serial, The Phantom Empire




Now for a message from the Reverend Billy Graham. 




And the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. James 2:23

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. Revelation 3:20

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2

A wise man is full of strength, and a man of knowledge enhances his might. Proverbs 24:5

But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53:5

Thank you for joining me. Come Back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again.












No comments:

Post a Comment