Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Movie Review: C.S. Lewis: The Most Reluctant Convert

 

                                                      Michael's Movie Grade: A-

A very intelligent and moving telling of how C.S. Lewis became a Christian. 

This movie was made by The Fellowship For Performing Arts, who mostly do plays and stage productions (of which this was originally one). If you are familiar with this before watching this film, this will make perfect sense, because in some ways this is very similar to a filmed stage play. Usually that is something that will turn me off from a movie, but this is a strong exception. One reason for this is that there is enough filmmaking techniques and moments that show that the filmmakers were concerned with making this film, not feel too static or stage bound. Another reason is that even if this can be like a filmed stage play, it is a very good one. Much of this movie has our main star essentially monologuing as he narrates this story. This works because  of the great performance of Max McLean (who was also the star and writer of the stage play) and because of the words of C.S. Lewis. Nearly all his dialogue comes from the writings of C.S. Lewis. This admitely alone would make this movie a delight for me. I have long been a fan of C.S. Lewis and his writings. Books like Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters and the Narnia books often are nighttime reading for me before I go to bed. C.S. Lewis has such an incredible power over words and much of what he writes has a pure beauty and poetry to it, that I find irresistible. Reading or listening to this words never fails to move me in some way and I would be lying if I said they didn't move me here.

This is a beautiful movie and one that definitely moved me quite a bit. 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment