Sunday, May 21, 2023

Cowboy Church #225

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1948 recording of The Old Rugged Cross. The song dates back to 1913 and was written by evangelist, George Bennard. Actually the first verse was written in 1912. It was written while Bennard was a part of a series of revival meetings in Albion, Michigan. He was worried about the complete disregard for the gospel around him and wrote this verse as a repose. Of writing it Bennard said, "I seemed to have a vision ... I saw the Christ and the cross inseparable." The song wouldn't be completed for several months, when he was leading meetings at a local church in Pokagan, Michigan. He played it for Rev. Leroy (the sponsoring pastor) and his wife, Ruby Bostwick, both of whom found themselves moved to tears. It was then incorporated into a service at that church on June 7, 1913. The song has the same effect today as it must have back then.

Then comes Dwight Yoakam with It is Well with My Soul. Though this is a hymn of hope and peace it was written in a time of great sadness. The song was written by Horatio G. Spafford in 1873. He had planned a European trip for himself, his wife and four daughters, however because of his work he was unable to go, and he let his family go without him and after he finished his work, he would meet them there. However, the ship was hit and quickly sank. Though his wife was saved all four of his daughters had gone down with the ship. Amazingly he wrote this hymn when approaching an area near where his daughters had sunk. 

Afterwards comes Moe Bandy with Many Mansions. This song reminds us that no matter what we go through in this life, none of the tragedies we might have to endure can measure up to the blessings that God has waiting for us in Heaven. This recording comes from Moe Bandy's 2022 gospel album, Thank You Lord

Next is Tex Ritter with his 1950 recording of Onward, Christian Soldiers. This hymn was written by Sabine Baring-Gould in 1865. Baring-Gould was a schoolmaster, a deacon, and a priest. When he wrote this song he was writing in the British town of Horbury Bridge. He wrote this song for the children of the area to sing as they headed to church. Its lyrics symbolized the children prepare themselves for study of God's word and to stand strong so they would not fall into temptation. 

Then comes The Chuck Wagon Gang with their 1948 recording of Looking for a City

Now for Johnny Cash with Children. The fact that Jesus loves and cares deeply for children is made very clear in the Bible. Jesus in fact said that if we wish to enter the kingdom of heaven we need to make ourselves like little children. When little children came to him, he told his disciples that we are not to hinder any child from coming to Jesus. This song was written by singer/songwriter Joe South and this recording comes from Johnny Cash's movie The Gospel Road (1973). This film was a pure passion project for John. 

Next is Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with a wonderful version of the classic hymn, How Great Thou Art. In their book, Happy Trails: Our Life Story, Roy tells of a story that had to do with this song. "I'll tell you about one time we nearly got into a real war with the promoters: at the World Championship Rodeo at Madison Square Garden in 1952. During the first rehearsal I started to practice 'How Great Thou Art,' a religious song I wanted to make the centerpiece of our musical act. There's a line in that song that goes, 'Then sings my soul my Savior God to Thee...' Someone in the front office heard the rehersal and came to me that night to tell me I wasn't allowed to mention Christ at the rodeo. 'It might work for the kids in Houston, Texas' he told me, 'But this is New York. You can't preach to kids here.' I told him I wasn't preaching but that the Savior was a part of the song and I fully intended to sing that song in New York or anywhere else we performed. They suggested that I could change the words of the song so it didn't mention Him. I'm not one for grandstand plays but I told those fellas that if I couldn't sing 'How Great thou Art' just how it was written, Dale and I would pack up and leave town. The song stayed in the show. That year we did forty-three performances over twenty-six days and broke all Madison Square Garden attendance records."

Today's musical selection ends with Jack Hannah (from the Sons of the San Joaquin) with Hallelujah




























Now for the C.S. Lewis essay, Must Our Image of God Go.




Now for the moment, you have all be waiting for, the final chapter in Gene Autry's movie serial, The Phantom Empire (1935).




And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." Exodus 33:19

Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger forever, because he delights in steadfast love. Micah 7:18


God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Numbers 23:19

Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise. Jeremaih 17:14

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. James 5:16

Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body. Proverbs 16:24

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. Psalm 119:50

He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20

Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. Proverbs 3:7-8

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 












No comments:

Post a Comment