Monday, December 12, 2022

Movie Review: The Quintessential Quintuplets Movie (Eiga Go-Toubun no Hanayome)

 


Michael's Movie Grade: F

Pure torture to watch.

You remember how when you were a kid, how the romantic scenes in a movie seemed icky and gross. Despite being an adult that was the feeling I had throughout this whole film. I have never seen the anime nor the manga this film is a part of and after watching this, I never want to. This is one of the syrupiest romance films I have ever seen. While I have nothing against sentimentality, this film simply takes it too far. Every line of dialogue is full of such syrupy sentimentality that even Hallmark wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. Over two hours of nothing but this is simply too much. I found myself feeling sick to my stomach ever time, a character would go on and on about how in love they are. It didn't help that this dialogue was often incredibly clichéd and sounded nothing like how people actually talk. This movie also goes through many romantic clichés without adding anything new or interesting. This is made even worse by how truly boring these characters are. They have very few personality traits and come off as walking clichés rather than actual people. You never get to care about these characters because they never feel real. This movie also suffers from a horrible sense of humor. There was not one time in the course of this film where I even smiled at one of the comedic moments. 

This was simply hard to sit through. 




No comments:

Post a Comment