Sunday, April 19, 2020

Cowboy Church #53

Hello my friends and welcome back to another service of Cowboy Church.

Today's musical selection starts off with a 2018 song by Joanne Cash (Johnny's little sister) and Christian rock band, For King and Country, called Til Kingdom Come. Like Johnny, Joanne had spent much time backsliding from God's word before truly giving her life to him. She had been a drug addict and alcoholic. Pastor Greg Laurie's excellent Johnny Cash biography Johnny Cash: The Redemption of an American Icon quotes Joanne as saying "After I asked Jesus to come into my heart, I prayed, and I felt this heat come up my body to the end of my fingertips. I knew I was born again I knew I was saved. I knew I was gonna go to Heaven. I knew I would get to see Jack again (her brother who had died at 15 years old in a saw mill accident). I was just elated ... I then started praying for Johnny." Though she may not be as well known as her big brother, she has spent much time sharing the word of God through her music.  This is followed by The Monroe Brothers with their 1937 recording of I Have Found the Way. This is followed by Charley Pride with the gospel classic Angel Band in a recording from his 1971 gospel album Did You Think to Pray. This is followed by The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1937 recording of Lord You Made This Cowboy Happy. This song shows what The Sons were able to do better than any other band, they could create lyrics and melodies that brought such beautiful romantic visions of the west to mind that you truly felt you were transported there. The song was written by one of group's founding members, Bob Nolan, who in my mind is one of the all time great American songwriters, creating pure poetry with each of his songs. At this time the group was made up of Leonard Slye, Bob Nolan, Tim Spencer, Hugh Farr, Karl Farr and Lloyd Perryman. This would be the last year for Leonard Syle to be a member of this group as he would change his name to Roy Rogers and start a movie career, however he and the band would remain close and appear in many movies together and record many songs together. Next comes a lovely song sung by the lovely Skeeter Davis, Do You Know My Jesus. This version comes from her excellent 1967 gospel album, Hand in Hand With Jesus. Skeeter's voice is just so pure and beautiful and I can't get enough of her great gospel music. This is followed by country music and movie cowboy, Jimmy Wakely with In a Tiny Little Voice in a Tiny Little Prayer. Then comes Willie Nelson with Shall We Gather at the River. This comes from his incredible 1976 gospel album, The Troublemaker. This album is a must for any fan of Willie, country music or gospel music. Today's musical selection ends with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and their 1973 recording of Jesus in the Morning.



















Today's movie is the silent film version of The Ten Commandments (1923). Like the more famous 1956 version, this film was also directed by Cecil B. DeMille. What amazed me when I first watched this movie is not only how well the special effects stand up today, but that some of them are even better than what was seen in the more famous remake. People who except this film to be like the later movie will be shocked as it differs in a large way. This is that the movie is essentially broken into two large segments. The first is the biblical story of Moses and the second is a modern day story about how God's commandments are still relevant today. Besides this movie being a silent, I think that this is another reason why it is less remembered today than DeMille's later film. Going forward to the modern day of 1923 makes this film feel like it was made then, rather than that it could have been made anytime. I love both versions and I hope you will agree with me.



Note: To watch the whole movie click here.

The following is a page from a 1925 issue of The Exhibitor's World Herald talking about the movie's long record breaking theatrical run. If you have trouble reading click on the page and use your touch screen to zoom.




In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling. Exodus 15:13

In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling. Luke 6:31

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. Proverbs 19:20

As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17

A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity. Proverbs 17:17
 And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort. 2 Corinthians 1:7

For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7

The LORD is my strength and my defense ; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him. Exodus 15:2

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33

Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:13

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be save. Romans 10:13

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. 1 John 5:13

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. Romans 10:9-10

Thank you for joining me come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy Trails to you until we meet again.




                                                                 
-Michael J. Ruhland

   

No comments:

Post a Comment