Sunday, March 24, 2024

Cowboy Church #169

 Hello my friends and welcome back to another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with Have You Read the Bible Today. It is important for each of us to read our Bible each and every day. The Bible is not just some book, it is the living breathing word of God. It is easy for our faith and Christian walk to become idle and stagnant and the easiest way for this to happen is to simply not read our Bible. Taking some time each day to read the Bible is the best way for our faith and our walk with God to continue growing and maturing.  This recording is the B-side of a 1955 Little Golden Record by Roy and Dale. The A-side was The Bible Tells Me So

This is followed by Red Foley's 1951 recording of Peace in the Valley. On September 19, 1968, Red Foley was doing a show in Fort Wayne, Indiana with Billy Walker and Hank Williams Jr. Billy Walker took the time they had together and share his faith in Christ. Red asked Billy, “Do you think God could ever forgive a sinner like me?” Billy told his friend, "Red, if God can forgive me, He can forgive you." The two then prayed together. Red ended that night's set with Peace in the Valley. After his set was over Red said to Billy, "Billy, I’ve never sung that song and feel the way I do tonight.” Later that night Red died in his sleep of respiratory failure. Hank Jr. would write a song about this last day entitled I Was With Red Foley (The Night He Passed Away).

Afterwards is Billy Walker with Do Lord

Then comes Hank Locklin with Today Has Already Come to Pass

Next is Carrie Underwood with Oh How I Love Jesus. This hymn was based off a poem by Frederick Whitfield. This poem was entitled The Name of Jesus and originally appeared in 1855 in hymn-sheets and leaflets. It would appear in 1861's Sacred Poems and Prose, which was a collection by Whitfield himself. This recording of the hymn comes from Carrie's 2021 gospel album, My Savior

Now for The Blue Sky Boys with their 1947 recording of The Chapel in the Hills. This song was written by Karl Davis and Harty Taylor, who also wrote such songs as I'm Just Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail and When the Atom Bomb Fell

Afterwards is The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1941 recording of What Wonderful Joy


Next comes Johnny Cash performing Where the Soul of Man Never Dies from his 2003 album My Mother's Hymn Book. In the liner notes John stated, "That's another one of those gospel quartet things - a very infectious melody and a song I always loved. When I was picking out songs for this album, that one felt so good I had to use it. I didn't talk to Rick [producer Rick Rubin] about making a gospel record. He just kept asking me, what I would like to sing, so I started singing some gospel and he liked them. He said, 'Let's find one that fits, that feels really good to you, and we'll record it,' so we kept working towards that end." 

Today's musical selection ends with The Carver Boys with their 1929 recording of I'm Anchored in Love Divine
































Now for the Gene Autry movie, Public Cowboy No.1 (1937). The film is directed by Joseph Kane, who directed many B-westerns starring such great cowboy stars as Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and John Wayne. He may not be a well-remembered director, but his movies were always fast paced and a lot of fun. This movie also stars Smiley Burnette (who gets to sing a few fun songs that he wrote himself) and Ann Rutherford (who had also appeared in the Gene Autry movies, Melody Trail (1935), The Singing Vagabond (1935) and Coming Around the Mountain (1936). 




Independent Exhibitors Film Bulletin, 1937


Next comes the C.S. Lewis essay, Myth Became Fact

 



Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 1 Peter 3:8

Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Matthew 20:28

Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise. Jeremiah 17:14

So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. 1 John 16:22 

 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Isaiah 40:29

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. Romans 15:13

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice. Proverbs 12:15

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. Romans 12:3

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 













No comments:

Post a Comment