Sunday, March 10, 2024

Cowboy Church #167

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with Near the Cross.  This hymn was written by Fanny Crosby, who had written many beloved hymns including Blessed Assurance and Pass Me Not, O Gentle Saviour. This song first appeared in an 1869 collection of hymns entitled Bright Jewels. One of those who put together this collection was William Doane, who would write the music for this hymn. Fanny had been blind since she was six weeks old. Evangelist Dwight L. Moody once asked Fanny, “If you could have just one wish granted, what would it be?” Fanny's answer shocked him. She said, “If I could have one wish, I’d wish that I might continue blind the rest of my life.” She explained this answer by saying “Because, after being blind for all these years, the first face I want to see now is the face of Jesus.” This recording comes from Roy and Dale's 1957 gospel album, Sweet Hour of Prayer

This is followed by The Blue Sky Boys with their 1936 recording of Only Let Me Walk with Thee

Afterwards is Montana Slim with I'm Gonna Ride to Heaven on a Streamlined Train.

Then comes Lorretta Lynn with Ten Thousand Angels. This song was written by Ray Overholt, who became a Christian when writing this song. He would state “I was playing in a country band at a tavern, a dance hall, in Battle Creek, when I wrote the song. Why God selected me to write the song, I don’t know. I drank a lot, was a profane individual and I needed a Savior.” He would study the Bible as he was writing the song and found himself moved by Matthew 26:53 (Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?). About what happened next, he would state, “I wrote the first verse and put it in my guitar case. I then gave the club my notice that I was quitting. While I was trying to find out who this man Jesus was and writing the song, I was saved.” This led him to not only move permanently to gospel music, but also become a preacher. This version of this song comes from Lorretta's 1968 gospel album, Who Says God Is Dead!

Following will be Randy Travis with Blessed Assurance.  This hymn came about when songwriter Fanny Crosby visited composer Phoebe Palmer Knapp. Knapp played a tune for Crosby and asked what came to her mind with that tune. Crosby said, "Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!" She then immediately followed it with more lyrics that would be in the finished song. The song was published in 1873 and first appeared in a monthly magazine for which the editors were Joseph Fairchild Knapp and Phoebe Palmer Knapp (who were husband and wife). When it later appeared in 1887's Gospel Songs, No. 5 by Ira Sankey, this we lead it to greater fame as it would be commonly sung in the revivals of Dwight L. Moody and Sankey. By 1889, the hymn commonly appeared in Methodist hymnals. 

Next comes Bob Dylan with Pressing On. This song comes from his second of three Christian albums, 1980's Saved

Now for Sons of the Pioneers with their 1948 recording of Read the Bible Every Day. This song was written by Tim Spencer, one of the founding members of the group. 

Today's musical selection ends with The Carter Family's classic 1927 recording of Can the Circle Be Unbroken. This song was based off of the 1907 Christian hymn (written by Charles H. Gabriel and Ada R. Habershon), Will the Circle Be Unbroken. Uncle A.P. Carter reworked this song changing the lyrics to be about the death of a mother. Though this version would be covered by an incredible number of artists, many of them would change the title back to Will the Circle Be Unbroken as well as changing that one word in the chorus. However, these cover versions would use A.P.'s lyrics for the rest of the song. This is one of my all-time favorite songs, because it is a sad song, but one which also finds hope within its darkness. This is a song about trusting in God in times when it is very difficult to, which is something many gospel songs don't cover but which many Christians struggle with. 































Now for a message from the Reverand Billy Graham. 




Now for a classic silent film, Alkali Ike Bests Broncho Billy (1912). 




 The Lord is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him. Exodus 15:2

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalms 18:2

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you. Jeremiah 32:17

The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad. Psalm 118:24

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

Thanks for joining me. Come back in a couple weeks (I will be on vacation next Sunday) for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 












No comments:

Post a Comment