Sunday, October 22, 2023

Cowboy Church #247

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with a wonderful version of the classic hymn, How Great Thou Art. In their book, Happy Trails: Our Life Story, Roy tells of a story that had to do with this song. "I'll tell you about one time we nearly got into a real war with the promoters: at the World Championship Rodeo at Madison Square Garden in 1952. During the first rehearsal I started to practice 'How Great Thou Art,' a religious song I wanted to make the centerpiece of our musical act. There's a line in that song that goes, 'Then sings my soul my Savior God to Thee...' Someone in the front office heard the rehearsal and came to me that night to tell me I wasn't allowed to mention Christ at the rodeo. 'It might work for the kids in Houston, Texas' he told me, 'But this is New York. You can't preach to kids here.' I told him I wasn't preaching but that the Savior was a part of the song and I fully intended to sing that song in New York or anywhere else we performed. They suggested that I could change the words of the song, so it didn't mention Him. I'm not one for grandstand plays but I told those fellas that if I couldn't sing 'How Great thou Art' just how it was written, Dale and I would pack up and leave town. The song stayed in the show. That year we did forty-three performances over twenty-six days and broke all Madison Square Garden attendance records."

This is followed by Tammy Wynette with I Believe. This recording comes from her 1969 gospel album, Inspiration

Then comes Hank Locklin with Nothing But the Blood of Jesus. In 1876 Robert Lowry visited Ocean Grove (in New Jersey) to minister the summer crowd there. As well as giving a sermon, he also introduced this hymn to the crowd. The song had a major effect on audience and a revival broke out because of it.  

 This is followed by Willie Nelson with It's Not for Me to Understand. Willie talked about this song in his book, It's a Long Story: My Life, "The questions raised by the Bible - questions that had been entertained by deep thinkers like Khalil Gibran and Edgar Cayce - had no easy answers. I imagined a blind boy in a school yard, listening to the other children play. Again, the questioning began ... 'It's Not for Me to Understand' became one of the key songs and led to even more pleadings on my part. The sign came in the form of the lyrics. I don't feel that I wrote them. More accurately, I have to say that I felt like I channeled them." This song comes from one of Willie's best albums 1971's Yesterday's Wine. Willie himself would say, "I thought Yesterday's Wine was my most honest album to date."

Afterwards is Uncle Dave Macon with his 1927 recording of Shall We Gather at the River.

Next is Elvis Presley with Amazing Grace. This hymn was written by John Newton in 1772. It is no coincidence that John Newton wrote this hymn, as he was someone who badly needed God's grace. Looking at his life before he gave it to God, there is not much to find that is admirable and in fact some of what we see is downright horrific. He played a part in one of the darkest (if not the darkest) parts of American history. He was a slave trader. To say that slavery in the United States (and in any country at any time) was a tragedy and a horrible part of our history is an incredible understatement, and this man was a part of that horrific system. Later he even admitted that he treated the human beings that he was bringing over harshly. If there is anyone, we in our humanness would think is beyond God to reach it would be this guy. Yet God did reach him and being God completely changed him. He not only abandoned his job, but he gave his life to God's ministry and helped fight slavery every step of the way. If God could do this with him who is to say that any of us or anyone, we know could possibly be out of God's power to reach.

Then comes George Jones with Mama Was a Preacher Man. This song comes from George's 1974 gospel album, In a Gospel Way. The song was co-written by George with Earl Montgomery. Though we may not all be pastors of a church, we are all called to spread the word of God and let people know about what Jesus Christ did for them and how they can all achieve salvation. Salvation is not for the select few, nor is Heaven for "good people." Instead, salvation and Heaven are for whoever will believe in Jesus, turn from their sins and follow him.

Today's musical selection ends with The Sons of the Pioneers with There's a Goldmine in the Sky. Though there may be many beautiful things in this world, none of them can compare to the glories that await us in Heaven. The treasures that await us there, shine much brighter than gold. 





























Now for a message from S.M. Lockridge. 




Now for an episode of Gene Autry's TV show. 




For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. Romans 8:25


Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. 1 Peter 1:3

The prospect of the righteous is joy, but the hopes of the wicked come to nothing. Proverbs 10:28

Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always. 1 Chronicles 16:11

So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. Philippians 2:12

For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised. Hebrews 10:36

God will forgive our mistakes and help us bounce back. 1 John 1:9

God’s people will get over defeats and rise above it. Proverbs 24:16

Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. Proverbs 28:13

But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. James 2:18

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 












No comments:

Post a Comment