Sunday, October 15, 2023

Cowboy Church #246

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with Do What the Good Book Says. Even today centuries after the Bible was written, it words still ring just as true today and it is important that no matter what happens in this world that we still do what the good book says. 

Afterwards is Jim and Jesse with The Old Camp Meeting Days. This recording comes from their 1964 gospel album, The Old Country Church. This is some pure bluegrass gospel music at its best. 

Then comes Nat Stucky and Connie Smith with their cover of Johnny Cash's He Turned the Water into Wine.  This is from a 1970 gospel album the two country singers did together that is called Sunday Morning with Nat Stuckey and Connie Smith. This was the second album that the two made together. The first was 1969's Young Love. The idea to pair the two come from the record company, as both had recently had major hits and the company believed that their two voices would blend very well together. 

This is followed by Willie Nelson with his self-penned gospel song, In God's Eyes. Speaking about this song in his autobiography It's a Long Story: My Life Willie stated, "I needed to remind myself that, although I've strayed from the straight and narrow, I never strayed from my core beliefs. In 'In God's Eyes,' the next song in the sequence, I made that very point." This song comes from Willie's 1971 album, Yesterday's Wine. About this album Willie would state (also in his autobiography), "I looked up and simply began asking questions. Rather than keep those questions to myself, I put them into songs. The songs became my own particular prayers, my own personal reflections. I strung those prayers and reflections together in a loose-fitting suite. Music critics were throwing around the term 'concept album' - like the Beatles' Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club or Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. I suppose you could say this new notion of mine came together as a concept album. Rather than trying to write a bunch of hit singles, I simply followed the natural path taken by my mind." 

Next comes one of my favorite current singers Anne Wilson with a very recent song, Strong

Now for The Sons of the Pioneers with He Walks with the Wild and Lonely. This song was written by Bob Nolan, one of the founding members of the group and one of my personal favorite songwriters. When in a 1979 interview fellow cowboy singer and songwriter Stuart Hamblen asked Bob what he thought the best song he had written was, Bob answered that it was quite possibly this song. He explained why stating, "The lyrics and the music were so perfectly wed that I just couldn’t improve on it."

Afterwards is The Carter Family with their original 1928 recording of Keep on the Sunny Side

Today's musical selection ends with Johnny Cash singing Don't Give Up on Me
























Now for a message from S. M. Lockridge.




Now for an episode of Gene Autry's TV show. 







For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed. Proverbs 3:34

For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure. 1 John 3:2-3

I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Matthew 16:19

The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them. Ezekiel 18:20

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:1-2

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again. 














No comments:

Post a Comment