Sunday, September 5, 2021

Cowboy Church #135

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans singing The Lord is Counting on You. This song is directed heavily at the duo's younger fans and is about the importance of Sunday school. This is appropriate because Roy had long been an advocate for Sunday School. In the early 1940's the rules for the Roy Rogers Riders Club included "love god and go to Sunday school regularly." This rule is especially interesting considering that it was before Roy gave his life fully to the Lord. After that of course his support for Sunday school grew even stronger. One time when he and Dale where taking part in a rodeo at Madison Garden, Roy spoke to his audience, "I heard some kid say it is sissy stuff to go to Sunday school. Don't you believe him. Sunday school is for he-men." Up next is Johnny Cash with Look Unto the East. When John was making his weekly Johnny Cash Show, he ran into conflict with the producers when he wished to speak about his faith on television. They stood firmly against him doing this but John stood even more firm. He made one big speech on his show that they really wanted to cut. In this speech he stated, "All my life I have believed that there are two powerful forces: the force of good and the force of evil; the force of right and the force of wrong; or if you will, the force of God and the force of the devil. Well now, the force of God is naturally the number one most powerful force, although the number two most powerful force, the devil tries to take over every once in a while. And he can make it plenty tough on you when he tries to take over. I know. In my time I fought him, I fought back, I clawed, I kicked him. When I didn't have the strength to kick him, I gnawed him. Well here lately I think we've made the devil pretty mad because on our show we've been mentioning God's name. We've been talking about Jesus, Moses, even Paul and Silas and John the Baptist. Well this will probably make the devil mad all right and he may be coming after me again but I'll be ready for him. In the meantime, while he's coming, I'd like to get one more lick in for number 1." While John had messed up many times in his life, his faith in God was absolute and there is no doubt that he did turn from these many sins and give his life completely to the Lord.  Marty Robbins' 1959 album, Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs is one of the greatest and best loved concept albums in the history of country music. Despite being a country singer, Marty Robbins had a varied taste in music and would record a wide variety of songs ranging from country to rock and roll to Hawaiian to pop. He would however always keep a special fondness for western music and the tales and songs of the cowboys. He had this instilled in him from a very young age. His grandfather, Bob Heckle had been an ex-Texas Ranger and Marty would listen often to the stories this man told. As a kid, he was also a massive fan of Gene Autry movies, and wanted to grow up to be a singing cowboy. Making an album completely made up with songs about the old west was therefore a naturally for the singer. Most of the album was made up of covers of popular songs and traditionally favorites. However Marty wrote three songs for this album. These were El Paso, Big Iron and The Master's Call. Though The Master's Call is the least known of these, it holds it own very well with those more popular songs. Next comes The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1947 recording of The Old Rugged Cross. The hymn dates back to 1913 and was written by evangelist, George Bennard. Actually the first verse was written in 1912. It was written while Bennard was a part of a series of revival meetings in Albion, Michigan. He was worried about the complete disregard for the gospel around him and wrote this verse as a repose. Of writing it Bennard said, "I seemed to have a vision ... I saw the Christ and the cross inseparable." The song wouldn't be completed for several months, when he was leading meetings at a local church in Pokagan, Michigan. He played it for Rev. Leroy (the sponsoring pastor) and his wife, Ruby Bostwick, both of whom found themselves moved to tears. It was then incorporated into a service at that church on June 7, 1913. The song has the same effect today as it must have back then. This is followed by Dennis Agajanian with the title song off of his 1984 album, Where Are the Heroes. Today's musical selection ends with Billy Cate singing Christ is a Wonderful Savior.



















Next is a short film starring Broncho Billy Anderson, Broncho Billy's Last Hold Up (1912).







Here is C.S. Lewis with his essay, Evil and God




The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

Bear fruit in keeping with repentance. Matthew 3:8

I confess my iniquity; I am sorry for my sin. Psalm 38:18

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12

 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Psalm 37:7

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Then David said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous and do it. Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed, for the Lord God, even my God, is with you. He will not leave you or forsake you, until all the work for the service of the house of the Lord is finished..." 1 Chronicles 28:20

But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.” Matthew 14:27

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load. Galatians 6:1-5

 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life. Matthew 19:29

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. Colossians 2:8

Thank you for joining me come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy Trails to you until we meet again. 




Resources Used

The Man Called Cash by Steve Turner.

Angel Unaware by Dale Evans Rogers 

The Life of Roy Rogers by Charles River Editors 








No comments:

Post a Comment